Chapter Twenty-three - "The BIGGEST Mistake." (rated R)

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Twenty-Three

'The Biggest Mistake'

Scene....

Hours after

Joe's POV

I was concerned about Selena. She broke up with Nick with no explanation, visited a hospital, has been keeping things from her best friend, and has been acting bizarrely around me. She and I were never on a personal level, therefore I didn't want to scare her off when I finally decided to confront her. Instead, I went to her house when she was alone, so that she and I could talk privately. When I knocked on the door, Selena's small frame appeared as it opened. She looked stunning, as if she had expected to see someone.

She had stared for a moment, but didn't seem at all surprised to see me

She had stared for a moment, but didn't seem at all surprised to see me. "Hey, Joe," She said, her voice tired. "Demi's not here; she went out to visit Dallas. But I'll tell her that you-,"

"Actually," I interrupted as she began to close the door, "I wanted to talk to you." Selena's eyebrows lifted in surprise, her bottom lip dropping the slightest bit, before she began to speak again.

"Oh? What about?" She narrowed her eyes at me, a crooked smile appearing on her face. I just looked at her.

"You mind if I come in?"

She led me in through the doorway, and I sat on the couch as she walked into the kitchen. Selena reappeared with two water bottles in her hands and sat beside me. I turned to remove my jacket, throwing it onto the coffee table carelessly.

I decided to get right to the point. "Selena, I know we don't know each other too well, but I've just had something heavy on my mind."

"It's about Nick, isn't it?" She asked, looking me directly in the eyes. I nodded, observing as the caramel orbs suddenly became a deep brown.

"What happened? Why'd you break up with him?" Selena's lips flattened into a hard, thin line.

"Joe, are you a virgin?" She asked, randomly. This caught me off guard, and I had to blink a few times before replying.

"I'm sorry?"

"Are you. A virgin?" She repeated, this time, her tone a bit irritated. I just looked at her.

"Um, well, no." I confessed. I'd lost my virginity at a high school, to a drunken girl at a huge party. It was stupid and I regretted it, but it wasn't the last time I'd had sex, either. I didn't see how that question could have possibly been relevant to Nick, but I waited for an explanation.

Selena continued, "Then you know how it feels, right? To have someone there to please you- to satisfy your wants and needs right then and there." The atmosphere was suddenly awkward, and I felt my breath picking up. When she watched me for a moment, her lips curled into a small smile.