Chapter Eleven - "Quiet"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Eleven

'Quiet'

Joe's POV

After Nick and I stopped at our house to grab our things, we headed straight for the beach. We were all piled into my black jeep; Selena and Nick in front, Demi and I in back. She and I sat there, staring intently at each other's faces for no reason at all. I'd watch her eyes, her lips, her jawline, and her eyes again.

"It's rude to stare," She'd whisper repeatedly, even though I knew she was enjoying it. Her eyelashes fluttered, and her teeth consumed her bottom lip. She was blushing. 

When she looked back up at me, I raised an eyebrow at her, and flashed a flirty smile

"It's not rude if the person you're staring at, is staring back." I retorted. Demi's hand combed through the part in her hair, and she rolled her eyes.

"Shut up," her hand smacked my shoulder playfully. I glanced at Selena and Nick in the front seat, wondering if they were watching. Selena's eyes caught mine for a moment; I would've missed it if I'd blinked. I was curious as to why she was always watching us together, but never really separately. Suddenly, an idea flashed through my head.

"Why don't you sing for us, Demi?" I asked, a sly feeling rising in my chest. She froze suddenly, and looked at me, eyes wide.

"Yeah, Dems," Nick added, just as I'd hoped. "Joe tells me you have an awesome voice. Let's hear it." Demi's face was shocked. She looked at me, an irritated look appearing. I grinned.

"When does Joe tell you these things?" I blushed furiously, the blood pounding in my ears.

"Just sing, Demi! Come on, I've heard you. You're amazing." Selena interjected, suppressing a giggle at my bright red cheeks.

"Fine, but," Demi pointed a finger at me. "You're singing next."

She cleared her throat and began to sing. "I hear a word you're not saying. It's driving me crazy. It's like we stopped breathing in this room. We're both the last two believing. I know what you're thinking. I wish you'd make your move." She looked at me, and I wished she'd sing to her full potential. My wish came to fruition with the next few notes."It's much. Too. Quiet in here! I wanna disappear! I'm hearing myself thinking too clear. It's. Too. Quiet in here! Make it all go away! Why can't we break this silence finally!?" Her mouth was wide as she hit the beautiful high notes, and she laughed before she went for her big finish."Make it all go away! It's! Too! Quiet! In here."

We all were gaping when Nick had pulled into a parking space. It was silent for a while, and Demi tucked into herself. "I guess I was a little flat, huh? Sor-" Nick interrupted Demi's insanely wrong statement.

"God, Joe," he started. "Your girlfriend has pipes." The heat radiated from my face again, and I screamed,

"She's not my girlfriend!" And they all laughed at me.

-----

The girls walked into a small changing tent, while Nick and I simply removed our shirts and threw them into a chair. I tried making conversation with Nick, struggling to keep my mind from wondering how Demi would look in her bikini. "Tell me how you and Demi know each other. I mean . . . it seems like you do . . ." I said playing stupid. He let out a soft chuckle, and tugged on a loose curl; useless as it just sprang back into place again. Turning to me, he placed his bony hand on my shoulder, smirked, and said,

"Pervert."

I clenched my fists. I had the urge to let him know what a mouth full of blood tasted like. To even think of my brother putting his hands anywhere near Demi's body -and cheating on his girlfriend- made my face go white.

Nick's eyes widened and he released my shoulder. "Dude, I was kidding." He muttered, fear obvious in his eyes. My teeth were clenched as I threatened him,

"Yeah, well DON'T. Ever."

"Joe-" Nick began shakily, but he was cut off by a voice behind me.

"Is everything okay?" Demi's voice swirled around my ears. I kept my eyes on Nick's fearful face, fuming.

Selena's voice came second, "Joe, what's wrong?" The soft texture of Demi's hand was against my face, suddenly, and it relaxed me. I released a breath I hadn't known I was holding and turned to her gentle brown eyes.

"Are you okay?" She asked me, glancing at Nick's scared expression. I could understand his fear toward me. When he was fifteen, I'd caught him hitting on my girlfriend, Camilla. It wasn't their first encounter, so when I saw them, I lost myself. Nick went to bed with a black eye that night.

"I'm fine. We're fine. Let's get to the water." I answered, my jaw relaxing upon her palm. She shot one more worried glance at Selena, and pulled me along with her toward the water.

JJDL

 ****It's a slow moving story, but it gets juicy from here! Leave your COMMENTS!*****