Chapter Thirty-Three - "Please Forgive Me."

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Thirty-three

'Please Forgive Me.'

Scene...

Immediately after ending the phone call

Joe's POV

"Dude, where the hell are the keys?!" I shouted angrily at Nick, who was making me late for my immediate meeting with Demi.

"Joe, I just got back from a jog. A jog. Why the hell would I have the keys?" Nick stood from his stool and watched me frantically turn the living room upside down. Demi had only agreed to meet with me right away, and I knew that she could change her mind at any given moment, so I had to get to her as soon as I possibly could. Frustratedly, I turned to Nick, who was crossing in front of me and heading for the stairs. "You're not gonna help me?" I asked, watching him as he climbed the steep incline.

"You look like hell." He said, disappearing from my view. Rolling my eyes, I continued my search for the keys, and after another five minutes I'd found them, and raced out toward the car.

It was only when I had reached the driver's seat and looked at the clock that I'd realized the time.

7:02am

It was still early in the morning, and I hadn't even showered or shaved. Checking the mirror, I understood Nick's unwillingness to help me, as I did, in fact, look like hell. He knew I'd be back in the house.

Quickly, I hopped out of the car, locked the doors, and darted back inside.

-----

I pulled into the parking lot of the hotel, parked my car, and shot my brother a quick text to let him know I had arrived at the right address. As I stepped out of my car and began walking toward the tall building, I could feel my heartbeat beginning to pick up.

What would she think of me? Would she look at me the same? Would she cry again?

Every single scenario of how my reunion with Demi could have possibly played out went through my head. I had never felt so nervous. I was back on the edge of that cliff again, looking down over at how far I could potentially fall, measuring out my imminent doom. But there was hope. There was a chance that the wind would cease, or maybe even blow me away from the cliff's edge, into the arms of safety.

The doors of the hotel opened on their own, and I headed for the elevator. Stepping inside, I pressed the number seventeen, unsurprised that at such an early hour, I was the only one in the tight space. Completely made of glass, I could see everything outside, and my incline over the parking lot became more nerve-wracking. It moved slowly, during which time that the cliff in my head seemed to become more and more vivid. I wanted to panic, but I closed my eyes, breathed slowly, and waited for the doors to reopen.