Chapter Seven

Coulson POV

Clint's name had already been added to the wall of the deceased at headquarters. Natasha and the team had showed up the day it was put up. Straightening my tie, I walked between the rows of headstones to where Tony and Natasha were waiting. I stopped next to Natasha and lowered my gaze to the gray marble headstone Tony had made.

I couldn't picture Clint dead. He wasn't dead. He couldn't be dead. Natasha and the team needed him. That was supposed to be an easy mission.

Fury walked up after Tony and Natasha left. I looked up at him and narrowed my eyes. He didn't look sad. I gritted my teeth and returned my attention to the grave.

"Lost one of my best on that stupid op," he said after a long silence.

"Now you care?" I yelled.

Fury glanced at me with a genuine look of surprise.

"Sorry," I said, straightening my tie again, "I just...sorry."

"No body either. Makes it worse on Natasha," I said after a long, tense silence.

Fury didn't reply immediately.

"I suppose it does."

"I don't think he's dead," we said at the same time.

I stared at the headstone for a while longer. I smiled sadly and brushed my fingers along the cool stone.

"Where do you think he is?"

"I don't know. There's no proof that he's alive besides no body. I mean, they recovered two others but neither was Barton. He could have set the fire himself and disappeared."

I nodded.

"So it's a matter of time."

"He may be dead. We can't hope that he isn't. It's been nearly a month."

"I'm not planning to disclose this with anyone. Not even Natasha, Coulson."

Fury left after glancing at the headstone for a minute. I stayed a bit longer, debating whether or not I should inform Natasha. I just knew Clint wasn't dead. I'm not sure how but I knew.

"Hurry up and come home, Clint," I said to the headstone before walking away.