Chapter Eighteen

Coulson POV

"What the hell were you thinking, Natasha!" I yelled.

She didn't reply. We were both watching Clint from behind the two way mirror. He was asleep.

"If I hadn't got there when I did, they would have killed him."

"Why did you even say anything the first place?" she snapped.

"What would you have done? Let you go even though he was sent to kill you, or tell Fury?"

"You know what I would've done."

Clint stirred and Natasha shot me a look before walking out. I sighed and watched her go in. She sat in front of him and drummed her fingers on the table. Clint finally woke up and I waited.

"What the hell?" Was the first thing out of his mouth.

I could tell this wasn't the same Clint. He just seemed different, colder.

"Where am I?"

"Don't tell him," I muttered.

"Shield."

"Dammit," I sighed.

Clint nodded but didn't reply.

"You know, I'm not going to let anything happen to you," Natasha said.

I rubbed my eyes and sighed again.

"Why do you even care?" Clint snapped.

God, he doesn't even sound the same half the time. What the hell happened to him?

"I already told you. We're partners."

"Pretty sure 'partners' don't kiss each other."

Natasha fell silent and Clint smirked. I shook my head.

"Listen to me-"

"No."

"Clint! Listen!"

"Why?"

"Stop being a child."

"Stop yelling."

"Shut up."

"Make me."

That sounded more like Clint.

"Two months ago we were on a mission in Russia. We were supposed to be retrieving intel but in the middle of it, we were discovered so we tried to escape. We were on some stairs and you handed me the flash drive."

Clint's eyes narrowed slightly but he didn't say anything.

"And you told me to wait, you'd lead them off. You kissed me and left and that was the last I saw of you until last night."

Clint frowned.

"There were five men. One behind me," he said.

"So you remember?"

"I saw it in a dream, Nat," Clint snapped.

I saw Natasha stiffen slightly at the nickname. I would too if it wasn't the same person saying it.

"They took you, and brainwashed you."

Clint opened his mouth to say something but stopped.

"Prove it."

"Coulson, we're going on a field trip," Natasha said, turning to look at me through the glass.

I rolled my eyes and stepped out into the hall and moved over to the interrogation room.

"Okay, where to?" I asked, leaning in.

"Stark's."

"Have fun. I've got a meeting with Fury," I lied.

"Yep."

Natasha steered Clint past me and down the hall. Stark can deal with them for a while. .