Chapter Twelve

Natasha POV

"We have reason to believe Barton's gone rouge."

"Are we sure that it was Clint?" I asked.

I knew it was. We all knew it was Clint. The arrow on the table was his. There was no doubting it was Clint. Fury sighed and pulled up a grainy picture of a man on a rooftop with a bow. I fought down a smile at Clint's familiar figure. 

"Why would he? Tony asked.

"I don't know. But as of now, you're on lockdown. All of you," Fury said, giving me a pointed look.

"Sir-"

"It's an order."

Fury's phone began ringing and he scowled. We sat in silence as he answered it. He stepped out and Tony leaned forward, grabbing the tablet Fury had left behind, shoving the arrow towards me in the process. I picked it up and rolled it between my fingers.

"Stark, put it down," Steve ordered.

"Bite me. What's he hiding this time?" Stark said, Bruce leaning over to watch.

"Why would Clint kill Napier?" Thor asked.

"Dunno. But I want to find out," Steve said. 

I jumped slightly when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I glanced over at Steve and he smiled.

"Mr. Stark, what do you think you are doing?" Fury snapped when he came back in. 

Tony's eyes flicked up to him and he shrugged, returning his attention to the tablet. Fury snatched it away from him.

"Care to share what the phone call was about, Nick?" Tony asked.

Steve removed his hand and glared at Tony. Bruce stiffled a laugh at Fury's expression. I kept my eyes on the arrow. 

"Agent Coulson just informed me that Ramirez, Napier's partner, has been killed as well."

"Clint?" I asked, looking up.

"Yeah, looks like it."

"Why is he doing this?" Bruce asked.

"I don't know."

"Wrong," I said, finally finding what I was looking for.

"Sorry?" Fury asked, turning to me.

I held the arrow out to him, pointing at the two r's scratched into the shaft of the arrow. There was a lump in my throat, making it near impossible to breathe correctly. Fury took the arrow before the rest of the team could see. He jerked his head to the door and I stood up, following him to Coulson's office. I bit back tears. 

"You two better listen closely," Fury said, causing Coulson to look up from his computer screen.

Fury shut the door.

"You two are not to track Barton down. He's rouge and dangerous."

"Yeah but-"

"I'm not letting any more agent's get killed. You and the Avengers are sitting this out."

"No."

"Natasha, just for once, listen to orders!" Fury sighed.

I looked at Coulson. He tilted his head slightly as if to say just go with it. I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. I wanted to be out there, trying to track Clint down. 

"Fine."

"Thank you." 

Fury left and Coulson crossed the room to give me a hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck and struggled not to cry.

"Coulson, I've got to find him. Fast."