Chapter Seventeen

Clint POV

"Yes you do. We've been partners for almost ten years but two months ago, we were on a mission, and you didn't make it out. I thought you were dead. Clint, please, it's me."

"I don't know you," I insisted.

"Yes you do! Why else haven't you killed me!"

I clenched my jaw and released the arrow, moving it to the side as not to hit her. She didn't flinch.

"Shut up."

"You know this place. See," she said, grabbing one of the bills and thrusting it towards me.

I caught sight of my own name. I clenched my jaw tighter and narrowed my eyes.

"Clint-"

"Shut up! Shut up, I don't know you, they were right. I shouldn't have gotten close to you. I should have just kept my distance."

"You didn't keep your distance the first time either. In Russia, 2001, you got close and offered me a job to shield. C'mon, you've got to remember!"

I shook my head. I moved past her and picked up a picture. It was of the two of us. My headache only grew more insistent. I set the picture back down and looked around.

"Come back to shield, Clint."

"Why? I've never-"

"Yes you have! And don't you tell me to shut up again," she snapped.

I opened my mouth to retort but was cut off by the sound of someone kicking down the front door.

Romanoff shot me a worried look. One of the windows behind me shattered.

I spun around in time to be hit on the jaw with the butt of a pistol. I stumbled back and pulled the arrow back to fire.

Romanoff hit my arm down and quickly dispatched the man.

"You set me up!" I seethed.

"No I didn't."

Another man came in the room and I shot him.

"Stop killing them!"

I rolled my eyes and made for the front door. I peered around the corner and saw at least five more agents. I ducked back around the corner and felt a bullet chip the edge.

I reached quickly around and shut off the lights. I saw Romanoff do the same in the other room.

I heard one of the men coming towards me. I kept my back against the wall and remained silent.

He soon was even with me. I shot an elbow into his windpipe and broke his neck.

Romanoff grabbed me and started pulling me away. I jerked out of her grasp and she just grabbed me again.

"C'mon," she said.

I pulled free again and shoved her away. I should've killed her the minute I walked in. There was a muffled gasp and I turned to see Nat falling. I shot the man who knocked her out. There had to be at least two more.

I clenched my teeth and moved to find them. A blow to the back of my head made me stumbled.

Someone got me in a choke hold that I couldn't get out of. My lungs burned as I tried to stay conscious.

"Barton, relax."

I felt myself go limp and I blacked out.