Chapter Two

Chapter Two

- Jr High -

Niall and Sydney passed their note for the hundredth time.

"Aw! Look at Niall and Sydney, passing notes. Niall and Sydney sitting in a tree-" Julie was cut off by the teacher.

"Enough Julie. Ms. Belle and Mr. Horan, would you like to read that to the rest of the class?" Mr. Ericsson said stopping yet another boring math lesson.

"Um-" Niall started to say but was cut off by the bell releasing the school to go home.

"Saved by the bell!" Sydney joked while walking out the doors of the school.

Niall laughed and they got onto their bus to go home. Sydney grunted as her and Niall sat in their usual seat in the front of the bus. "I don't want to go home!" She said laying her head on Niall's shoulder.

"Still grounded?" Niall said with a small laugh. "Yes! It's so stupid what I'm grounded for though! All I wanted was to go to the dance, but noooo!" Sydney said angrily about her foster parents strictness.

"Will you still sneak out to go to the park tonight?" Niall asked looking at all the passing trees. "I'll try. If I don't show then it's because I got sucked into their formal dinner party with Jim's big boss and I'm sure they'll want to parade me around, as usual, talking about how good my grades are and how proud they are of me. Once they leave its back to the basement I go!" Sydney replied exaggerating.

She didn't live in a basement. In fact, she had a fairly large house; biggest on the block. Sydney got the smallest room, with the crappiest furniture; if any furniture at all. Her room consisted of a twin bed, small dresser, and a bed table. It wasn't anything Sydney had expected when she was told she was going to live with a rich family in a quaint subdivision. She expected a big pink room with butterflies painted on the wall and princess furniture, but that was only a five year olds imagination. Once she got there, there wasn't anything kid-like at all. She expected a happy little family with two people she could grow to love and soon enough call her mom and dad; yet again, imagination. Once they brought five year old Sydney home, they became cruella de ville and the grinch.

"Syd!" Niall nudged her with his elbow and Sydney caught hold of her surroundings. She was home. A long grunt came out of Sydney's mouth as her and Niall walked off the bus. The long walk down the road they talked about the annual school dance that Niall was going to go to.

"You're lucky. I wish I could go." Sydney said with gloomy eyes. "I'm not going unless you are!" Niall said and Sydney shook her head in disagreement. "No, Niall! I want you to go and have fun!"

"I'm not going unless I have my best friend to go with!" Niall said back. "You cheeseball! What are we gonna do then?!"

"Watch movies, water gun fight, or play video games?" Niall asked. You see, Sydney was a very pretty brown eyed, brown hair girl. She could easily be a it chick. But that wasn't her. She'd rather play video games with her best friend, who happens to be a guy, than get her nails done and buy frilly clothes.

"How about all of that?!" Sydney said lighting up. "Yes!" Niall said high-fiving her. "Hello Maura!" Sydney said greeting Niall's mom at the end of his drive way. "Hi sweetie!" Maura said taking Sydney into her arms. Maura was more of a mom to Sydney than her own. Maura knew everything that happened in the Belle household and she wished she could take Sydney in and love her like the daughter she never had.

"How have you been?!" Sydney said pulling away and turning to face Maura.

"Wonderful! How is everything at the house?"