Chapter 34

"Aria?"

I didn't hear quite a lot, and the girl wasn't on the couch like I found her last night neither anywhere else in the room. "Aria, where are you?" I asked, getting slightly concerned. The fact that she was improving didn't reassure me from the fact that she might still hurt herself, or worst case scenario, rob her from her own life. "I'm getting worried!" I yelled as I walked to the kitchen where again, not a single person was present. Suddenly I heard some sniffling coming from behind the door that leads to the bathroom. Every step I took towards the door enlarged with every second that past, and so did the sound of the broken girl that was crying in my bathroom. I opened the door and to my surprise, I didn't see Aria. "Aria?" I asked again and walked towards the bathtub. Suddenly I heard it, coming from behind. The sobs that the girl was producing were unbearable for me to hear, even though I didn't even see her face. I was staring in front of me for I think about a second or five before I had prepared myself for what was gonna come. The girl was sitting in the darkest corner of the room and had curled herself up, hidden behind a cabinet. In the reflection of the sunlight I could see her big deer eyes, all red and puffy and the emotion in her eye contained nothing but fear. She didn't even dare to come to me, and I could see nothing but her eyes and the loose piece of hair that had fallen in front of her face. I quickly turned on the light and rushed towards the tiny girl that was still curled up on the cold floor.

"Aria! Aria, what are you doing here?" I asked while in the same moment my fingers were gently carresing the features of her face. I was trying everything to not upset her, but it seemed hard since the girl was sitting in a dark bathroom for god knows how long, crying her eyes out. "Oh Aria" I spoke as I took her in my arms and wiped away her tears. "How long have you been up?"

"The whole night" Aria spoke with a raspy voice before she cradled her petite body in my embrace like she was a lost puppy.

"Oh my" I muttered before I brushed her hair and pressed a kiss on top of her head. "Why are you sitting here? It's way too cold in here, I can't risk you getting the flu" I said as I grabbed a towel from the cabinet and wrapped it around her like some kind if blanket, before I started rubbing her arms to increase her temperature.

"You want the truth?" She spoke while the sharp look in her big eyes were drilling straight through my gaze.

"I want to help you"

"Ezra.." Aria sighed before she burried her head in my chest and wrapped her arms around me. "I'm scared"

"I understand Aria, I totally understand, but Noel is locked up now, he can't do anything to hurt you anymore"

"I'm not scared of Noel" Aria said. I didn't believe the first word of that, I know she's scared he will come back, she's scared he might hurt her again, she just refuses to admit it. "I'm scared of life, I'm scared of school, I'm scared of everything that may come. I'm scared of the judgements, I'm scared of the false insults, I'm scared of the society" she spoke, very calmy, almost like she had practised it all night. She is one of those girls who overthinks everything, and in Aria's position that's the worst you can do. Maybe she was right, maybe she wasn't even afraid of Noel anymore, because it is a fact he's locked up. You can't deny that. But there is no proof, not a single piece of evidence Aria could blend in with this society again without being judged.

"Aria, it'll be okay, I promise. I won't let anybody hurt you. Ever" I spoke while I wrapped my arm around her waist and wrapped the other one around her legs. I gently lifted her up and took her cold body to my bed where I tucked her in before I pressed a kiss on her forehead.

"How can you say it is gonna be okay when it's not. You can't protect me from everything"

"No, you're right. I can't protect you from everything, but I can protect you from this. There are too many fucking idiots out there who can't see what a beautiful girl you are, and it's my job to convince them you are. Even if I have to write it on the walls, I will! If I have to scream it from the rooftops, I will!" I said as I raised my voice. "And you want to know why Aria? Because I love you! I fucking love you so much, and I'm not gonna let those stupid assholes without a soul make you feel worthless, because you are not Aria! You are worth every damn second of your life and it's up to me to make you feel like that" I almost yelled. "So yes! I can protect you this time, I can and I will! You are my first priority, your happiness is on top of my list!" I said, a little bit calmer now. Aria was listening to me like I was giving the speech of the year, and after that the girl was slightly uncertain how to respond.

"You know Ezra, if it wasn't for you, I would have long been gone" Aria spoke, which scattered my heart but at the same time made me happy. What did she mean? Was she trying to say she was recovering or that she wants to be dead?

"Aria, don't say that, you know I love you"

"I'm sorry.. I love you too" Aria said as she pulled her blanket up to her nose and closed her eyes. After a while of just enjoying each others company Aria broke the silence with her sweet voice. "I like you when you're angry" she spoke, and a little smile appeared on her face.

"And I like you when you're alive"