Chapter Seven- We Are The Bennett Pack

© 2013, Briana Hernandez

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

☼☼ Chapter Seven ☼☼- ♦♦ We Are The Bennett Pack ◊◊

“Well, aren’t ya going to greet me?” He asked when I just stared at him. I unfroze and threw myself at him. “I missed you too, girl,” he breathed into my hair as he pulled me close.

His smell was different than before. It only took me a second though to realize what was going on. My eyes widened and I started to yell, “You’re ma-” then his large hand clamped down on my mouth before I could finish. I rolled my eyes at his action, but he just gave me a warning look to shut up. I was contemplating whether I should lick his hand for him to drop it, but I don’t know where his hand has been.

It felt so nice seeing him again. He’s Pat’s grandson and Old Pat would bring him over every summer and the three of us would spend the summer causing trouble hoping not to get caught. Bryson and I loved to hang out with him at the park every weekend during the summer. He was two years older so once he graduated high school he decided to travel and embrace all that life had to offer.

“I know, I’ll explain in a bit. Let’s get out of here and catch up?” He whispered out as he tucked me into his side, his hand still securely covering my mouth. I was pretty sure he wouldn’t remove his hand until we were away from everyone.

I stepped slightly away from him and gestured to my uniform and the rag in my hand. Then I noticed Old Pat staring at us with a genuine smile gracing his ageless face.

“Ya’ll go on ahead. I’m closing early today and I’ll see you both at the ceremony,” Pat called out as he waved us away. “Have fun kids!” He turned away to go back to the kitchen.

“Hop on,” Caleb said as took off his hand from my lips and then he turned around and hooked a thumb towards his back. I felt someone staring at me so I turned and found Wren’s gaze on me. He looked hurt and curious. His emerald eyes burned on mine and then he finally turned to see what Lizzie had been asking him. I shrugged him off and jumped on Caleb’s back as he held on tightly to my thighs and I wrapped my arms around his neck. “Just like old times, Willy,” he told me. He and Bryson were the only ones that called me that. They used to call me Free Willy, until I beat them senseless and they just stuck with Willy. The last time I had seen him was at Bryson’s funeral, but we hadn’t talked because he knew I needed my space.  

We were just passing by Aubrey when she muttered, “I wish a sexy guy came in and whisked me away from working.”

“I can come back for you later sweet cheeks. Then we can all have a party,” Caleb purred.

“I’ll be waiting then,” Aubrey replied as she threw him a wink.

I sent Aubrey a stern look and growled out, “Aubrey…”

“Right… I don’t need you to get me in your bed and only pay attention to me until you’ve gotten in my pants. I love myself and that comes first. I don’t need a pig like you to make me feel better about myself,” she told him as she stood up taller and marched off. I threw her a thumbs up before she went into the kitchen.

“What was that all about?” Caleb asked, confused.

“Self discovery,” I said as I had a small smile on my face. Caleb’s eyebrows were still furrowed but he shook it off and continued on to his car.

“How have things been?” He asked once we were settled in his car.

I sighed before replying with, “Rough.”

“So, I’ve heard. Grandpa told me that you’re emancipated. I guess your parents pushed you too far, huh? God, I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you after Bryson. It’s just that I took it hard too. I needed to get away from this town, from this state and spend some time alone,” he said as he placed a soothing hand on my shoulder as he drove.