Bonus:Wren- She'll Never Know How Much

© 2013, Briana Hernandez

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

☼☼ Bonus: Wren ☼☼- ♦♦ She’ll Never Know How Much ◊◊

I had taken Lizzie out to a nice restaurant to celebrate Valentine’s Day. I honestly did not understand the big deal. Why was there one day a year that you have to shower the person that you’re in a relationship with to show them that you care? I was not going to do anything for tonight because I didn’t really feel that it was necessary, but Lizzie started asking what our plans were so I had to come up with a plan so that I wouldn’t look like an insensitive twat.

After dinner, Lizzie said that we could spend some time together at the beach. I drove there and we spent some time speaking, or she spoke most of the time. Lizzie was a unique girl, but I couldn’t help but continue to wonder why I had agreed to date here. She was not my type at all. I felt bad though because I didn’t reciprocate the feelings that she obviously had towards me. There also wasn’t a solid reason for me to break up with her. She was attentive and she did listen to me whenever I spoke, sometimes I felt that she listened so much that it was if she was trying to uncover some hidden knowledge from me.

I’ve heard of that whole ‘It’s me, not you,’ breakup, but I didn’t want to use that cliché line. I certainly couldn’t breakup with her now, especially on Valentine’s Day.

We were currently sitting on the beach with beer bottles in our hands. I had been against the idea when Lizzie had pulled them out of her giant purse, but she somehow managed to convince me that we could be reckless for one night. One beer turned into eight and I was completely gone. Lizzie hadn’t drunk as many as I did apparently because she was able to walk normally to the car before she took my keys and insisted that she drives.

She got to my home quickly and I was surprised to see that my parents were not home and if they were not home that meant that Elle wasn’t either.

“Can I come in?” Lizzie asked in that sweet tone of hers.

“Of course. My family isn’t in so I’m sure everything should be fine. I’m glad too because I wouldn’t want to put you through that awkward ‘meeting the parents for the first time’ experience,” I replied as I held the front door open for her.

“I don’t mind. I think I’d like to meet your folks. Maybe they’d like me more than your sister does,” she replied as she pulled my hand along behind her.

“Elle is probably upset with me, it’s not you. She’s probably angry with me because I haven’t spent as much time with her. The move here to America has affected both of us in different ways,” I said as I led her to the living room.

“Can I see your room instead?” Lizzie asked as she realized that I was taking her to the living room.

“Um… Sure, I’m not certain if I picked up today though,” I answered as I rubbed the back of my neck nervously. She was giving me that look, the look that she gave me before she would heatedly kiss me.

“I’m fine with a little mess. It don’t bother me none,” she replied in that southern belle accent she tried to have. I know it wasn’t the way she normally spoke because she didn’t have an accent on a regular basis. She didn’t have an accent, but I knew a girl who let it slip every now and then.

I shook away my thoughts as I opened my bedroom door. I had to fight the urge to look out my window to see if she was perched in her roof or if she was in her room.

“Here it is nothing special really,” I announced as I held up my arm dumbly to show her the room.

“I like your bed,” Lizzie complemented as she pulled on my arm.