Chapter Twenty- Four - Dress +Me = Ice Cream and Pickles

© 2013, Briana Hernandez

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

☼☼ Chapter Twenty-Four ☼☼- ♦♦ Dress + Me = Ice Cream and Pickles ◊◊

I tensed as Wren placed a gentle hand on the small of my back, but I was not tense because he was touching me. I tensed because it felt…good. His touch felt comforting and it seemed to be telling me that no matter what or who was waiting for us behind that door, he was going to be right behind me. I felt that strange sparkle sensation; it was like eating PopRocks candy and feeling them pop and crackle in your mouth.

“They’ll most likely put us to work. If you’re not comfortable in what you’re wearing then I’m sure that we can find something else for you,” I told Wren as I looked over at his faded jeans and plain red shirt. He had decided to leave his sweater in my car.

“I should be fine. I’ll let you know if I need anything. Thank you,” he replied.

We made it up the creaky porch steps and before I could knock on the door, it swung open to reveal my overly excited grandmother.

“Manuel! Ella está aquí,” she yelled over her shoulder towards my grandfather to notify him that I was here. Then she turns back to me with a grin, but when she catches sight of who is behind me her grin falters. “Ah, y ¿quién es?” She asked who Wren was.

“Tengo un proyecto y él es mi compañero. El abuelo me dijo que le trajera,” I explained that I have a project and that Wren was my partner, I also pointed out that my grandfather told me to bring him.

“Hello, my name is Wren. It is a pleasure to meet you,” Wren introduced himself as he came from behind me so that he could shake my grandmother’s hand.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Maribelle, Willa’s grandma,” she told him in her thick Spanish accent. My grandparents know English, but if you know how to speak Spanish then it was a sign of respect to speak to them in their first language.

Just then my grandfather appeared behind my grandma.

The first thing he tells me when he sees me is that he has a lot of work for me. “Tengo un montón de trabajo para ti.” Gee, hello to you too.

“Hola, abuelo. ¿Cómo estás?” I greeted him and asked how he was in my usual snarky manner to point out that he had completely ignored a greeting.

His eyes land to Wren who is standing close to my side. “¿Quién es él?” He questions who Wren is as he surveys his appearance.

I let out a sigh before saying, “Ya te dije en el teléfono, es mi compañero.” I reminded him again that I had told him over the phone and that Wren was the partner I was talking about.

His look of suspicion drops as he nodded. “Oh, está bien, está bien, vamos afuera,” he continued to nodded before gesturing for us to follow him through the house so that we could head out back.

I could feel Wren’s disappointment at not being acknowledged properly but my grandfather was not intentionally being rude; he was extremely preoccupied with something.