Chapter 25

"Do you believe me that I love you, Tom?"

When Tom's head lifted, his eyes twinkled, more than ever before. "I better do, because I wouldn't survive another round of your love anguish."

"Good. "Because I don't think I could either."

"Have you had dinner yet? Tom asked while we were snuggled up on the sofa. With our clothes still scattered on the floor, our naked bodies relaxed against each other. It was a beautiful feeling having Tom, all of him, all to myself. I silently shook my head, while my hand caressed Tom's back, whose fingers were playing with my hair.

"Me neither. I'm starving. What do you feel like?"

"Do you want to go out now?"

"I was thinking of ordering in, or should we go home first. Who's with the kids?" I loved him even more for being so thoughtful of the kids.

"Dave is with them. I called him. I was worried about you."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you. The phone is at home and I lost track of the time, working and talking to Jan.

"Is Jan in hospital?" I changed the subject.

"Yes, he's part of a trial for a new type of surgery. Ever since the accident - that's what we call it - he hasn't been able to walk. This new surgery gives hope for him to take steps again, even if it's only small ones."

"Wow. It must be hard for you not to be with him." I could see how everything in Tom changed when talking about Jan. And it wasn't his guilt. It was affection, worry, maybe even love.

"Jan was the main reason why I didn't come back here earlier. I'm his legal guardian. Therefore, there was a lot to organise. And I wasn't even sure I could leave him. But I needed to be with you, and Jan made me go. - Ok, enough of this. Dinner!"

"Dave said that if I find you in a hotel, I should stay the night. Why don't we stay the night here? Like an office warming?"

"Engel!" Tom shook his head. "The first months after getting my very first office, a small single room, smaller than this one, I slept in there. I didn't have any money left to rent a room. It was winter, freezing cold, and uncomfortable. All the money I made before was tied in different businesses. I literately had no cash-flow. That very first night, I ordered myself a pizza and ate it, sitting on the ground, with an unzipped sleeping bag around my shoulders."

"Sounds romantic, somehow. Sleeping bag and pizza then?"

"No," Tom declined. "There was nothing romantic about that. I had a good amount of savings, a nice rented apartment. I'd risked it all. Pretty stupid in hindsight. Why would I want to sleep on the floor here if I have a bed in a beautiful house which I can share with the most beautiful woman? Pizza, here, fine. But not staying the night. I want to snuggle up in bed with you, all cosy and warm."

So much information in one day was hard to digest. "We don't have to have pizza."

"I'd love pizza."

"Pizza it is then. Bed at home! Sounds perfect."

Forty minutes later, headlights shone through the window, brightly illuminating the room. The rattling of wheels over pebbles broke through the silence, announcing the arrival of our pizza delivery.
I had been wondering a lot what Roger would be doing out there, just sitting in his car, watching the night, so we ordered an extra pizza for him, and a bottle of wine for us. And Tom even managed to talk the guy on the phone into adding candles and matches to our delivery. They were not on the menu, but Tom didn't leave the poor guy on the line any other chance.