Chapter 3

It was still dark outside. My body felt overly hot from the humidity and Tom's body wrapped around mine. The ringing of the telephone had woken me. Tom was still asleep when I slipped out from underneath his embrace. He mumbled something in protest, then turned around to continue his peaceful sleep. Getting out of bed, I wondered once again how I had ended up so lucky.

Who was calling me this early on the home phone though? Hannah and Dave would have called my mobile. Tom was here. I was certain it was someone from Germany. Nervously, worried that something might have happened to someone in my family, I picked up the phone.

"Hello?" I answered, drowsy.

It was quiet for a moment, then a female voice, which sounded familiar but I couldn't quite place at first, formally responded, "Would Tom be available, please?"

It was Jenny, his -, I didn't even know who she was. His girlfriend? That's what she said last time. But he never hid me or his affection to me. And he's here and she knows. Why haven't I asked him about her? I made a mental note to do exactly that first thing in the morning, even though my inner instinct told me to wake him up immediately and make him face the situation. For now, I decided to go ahead with her attempt of a friendly conversation.

"I'm afraid he's asleep. Is it important?"

"As a matter of fact, it is. Get him on the phone, will you?"

Where did that change of tone come from?

"Listen carefully, Jennifer. I don't know you, but this is now the second time that you call me and are rude. Tom's got a mobile, you can leave him a message, send him an email or you can ask me nicely. If you don't, I'm not going to pass on your message, especially in the middle of the night. Shall we try again?"

"You're a bitch, and he'll figure that out soon enough."

I had no intention of listening to her crap. I hung up on her mid-sentence and pulled the plug out of the phone.

The next day I told Tom that Jennifer had called, but refrained from telling him about her behaviour toward me, or to let any jealousy shine through. He explained to my relief that Jenny was his PR agent. That still didn't completely explain her outbursts or claims but I wasn't going to let her ruin the day for me. She obviously was hoping for more and Tom seemed oblivious to it.

I had arranged for Dave to meet us for lunch. It was important to me that he got to know Tom and vice versa. Dave had hoped that things would have worked out between Scott and me, but he didn't judge me. At least if he did, he didn't show it.

We were going to a new, small Mexican restaurant close to Dave's place. As it was a casual lunch, I slipped into a pair of well-worn stretch jeans, a slim white tank-top, trimmed with a brown leather belt and colour matching earrings, necklace and flats. Tom looked stunning as ever in a pair of blue jeans, a white shirt with rolled up sleeves and black sandals. He had shaved that morning. I loved the feel of his smooth skin on mine. And the aftershave he used, just staggering. I could have sat next to him all day, inhaling his captivating scent.

As it had cooled down, we decided to walk the two kilometres to meet with Dave. To my dismay Nicole, the reporter, appeared out of nowhere when we left the house. She was followed by her cameraman. Wearing her massive layers of make-up, I was glad I was at least wearing some as well. Tom must have felt my tension as she moved toward us. He squeezed my hand even tighter than before.

"Hello, Lisa." She greeted me like we were old friends. "Mr Mayer," she acknowledged Tom with a nod and bright grin, blushing by the sight of him. It actually surprised me that all the make-up on her face still allowed her natural skin colour to shine through.