Chapter 10

I followed Tanya to the post office and waited outside for her to return.

"Hi Tanya! What a coincidence. How are you?"

'Oh, don't give me this small talk crap. I don't have time for a chat." She snapped at me.

"I was actually hoping we could have a talk. And before you say no, I know we never got along, but this is really important. Can I get you a coffee, and you can leave any time you like." I had to be careful that Tanya wouldn't find out about Kate helping me to get her here.

"We have nothing to say to each other. We don't even work together anymore, remember?" She was bitchy as ever, but I started wondering if it was fear.

"I think we do have a few things to discuss. I know that Michael is blackmailing you."

"Shut up. He's not," she shot at me, nervously looking around her. Turning her back on me, she was ready to leave.

"Please, Tanya. It's important, for both of us."

She turned towards me again. "I'll have a coffee with you if you leave me alone." We ordered and then sat down on a quiet table in the corner of a mostly empty café.

"Tanya, Michael tried to blackmail me as well, and I heard him threatening you. It will get nasty in court next week. I know you can't get out of this on your own and I'm happy to help you."

"Hah!" escaped her, snippy.

"It's not a secret that I never liked you, and I'm aware that's a mutual feeling. But someone I really care about is being wrongfully accused of committing a terrible crime. We have enough evidence to prove that, but it will be a lengthy process. If you come forward, the trial will be over before it starts and I'm going to make sure you're not getting into trouble."

"I'm not going to fall for that. Are you recording our conversation?"

"No, Tanya. Let me ask you, are you really pregnant? Because they will be asking for evidence of that pregnancy."

"Yes, I am." With her eyes wide open she looked straight at me.

"And who is the father?"

"Tom," she answered, staring at the steaming cup of coffee in front of her. I picked up my spoon and dipped it in the thick milk foam through a cocoa decorated chocolate leave which covered my cappuccino. I didn't really feel like another coffee. Slowly, I took the spoon back out of my cup and licked the foam off it.

"Tom's lawyer will ask for a paternity test. Are you aware they can be done early on in a pregnancy? I had absolutely no idea if they were permitted as evidence in a trial, but Tanya didn't need to know that. This bit of information seemed to have the expected effect. Tanya turned red while fiddling nervously with her spoon.

"That's fine. Excuse me, please," she muttered. "I need to go to the toilet." Tanya grabbed her purse and left. I expected her to check on pre-natal paternity tests on her phone whilst locked up in the ladies room.

While waiting for her return, I felt proud of myself for handling Tanya quite well. After all, she hadn't left yet.

My eyes scanned the room. I had been so nervous when we entered, that I hadn't noticed the man in the black suit on the table right next to the entrance. Maybe he got there after us. I sat with my back to him, but from the glimpse I had caught of him, I could have sworn it was the taxi driver or chauffeur or whatever he was, from earlier. Before I could think about this any longer, Tanya returned from the bathroom.

"They can't really do one of those tests on me. They're quite risky." I knew she would check.

"I don't know how risky they are. I believe there might be different kinds. But you know, it's a very serious crime you're accusing Tom of. And giving false statements in court is a crime as well. So if there's enough doubt on your side of the story, well, it's a risk versus a risk, isn't it?"