Chapter 29

An hour later, we were sitting in the restaurant, waiting for our dinner. I had taken a quick shower, hoping Tom might join me, but he stuck to his promise, if I can even call it that.

Before meeting Tom, I hardly ever wore colours: Black, white and grey my eternal companions. While still not the huge attention seeker, I had gotten a bit more experimental, like the orange dress with white floral print I was wearing now. A bit of make-up, white wedge sandals and I was finished. Tom looked stunning as usual in blue jeans and a white shirt.

"You sure you don't want to try any of these mussels?"

"Positive. There's no way I'm going to get that slippery stuff down." I had an aversion to most seafood and restrained myself to a handful of different fish. Tonight, I stuck with a juicy grilled salmon fillet while Tom tried the whole lot: Prawn cocktails, mussels, oysters and lobster. I did end up trying some lobster and had to admit that it was delicious, to Tom's pure joy. But there was no way I would get near those mussels or oysters. I'd probably get nightmares of them crawling back up my throat.

"It actually slips down quite easily," Tom teased me.

We had a beautiful table with excellent view of the water. The décor was held in blue and white, mirroring the sea setting. During the day, the blue water and sky with the contrast of white yachts and sand were a pretty sight. At night, the impressive Sydney lights on the opposite side of the harbour reflected in the clear water.

A candle, which Tom put to the side of the table to make more room, flickered in the sea breeze, shedding just enough light for us to see each other's impressions. Tom took every opportunity he got to hold my left hand and admire the ring on my finger.

"It's your birthday and I end up with a ring," I told him in an attempt to stir the conversation away from slimy seafood. Under the table, I clasped my legs around his. My advance was answered by Tom with his adoring smile, when suddenly a flash blinded my eyes.

"Oh, piss off!" Tom bellowed, jumping up with such haste that our entangled legs almost made me fall off my chair. I hadn't even realised what was happening, when Tom was already chasing the paparazzo down the beach. With the only light coming from the moon and the city on the horizon, it was impossible for me to see what was going on. Embarrassed and concerned I sank back into my chair, ignoring the looks of people around me. There I waited for Tom to return, poking with my fork in my food. I had lost my appetite.

Suddenly, a girl in her teens approached my table with determination. As she got closer though, I could see that her freckled face turned increasingly shy, her steps slowing.

"Excuse me," the ginger-haired girl bashfully mumbled. "Are you famous or something?"

Oh, she was just cute. From the corner of my eye I saw, who I believed were her parents, sitting three tables back, watching their darling with the eyes of an eagle.

"No, I'm not famous. But some people know my friend," I explained to her, happy for the distraction.

"Why did that man take a photo of you?" she continued her inquisition, proving much more confidence suddenly.

"What's he famous for?" It was just amazing how quickly her confidence grew.

"He's a businessman," I answered, keeping an eye out for Tom. But I still couldn't see a thing. Worried, I considered walking down to the beach, but the ginger-haired girl in her airy blue hot pants continued, refusing me any chance of getting up.

"Well, that's not as cool as a pop star or actor but - hm - interesting." Oh, that prolongation in her sentence. I had to really brace myself not to burst out in laughter.