seventeen.

Dan was laying down in the small white gazebo next to Phil their eyes both trained on the passing clouds. Dan tried to imagine the heavy puffy things as different animals or objects. The sun hit their faces lazily and a cold breeze cut through the air. Their heads hung a bit out of the opening to see the sky.  Phil intertwined his fingers with Dans and Dan smiled.

The feeling of skin on skin contact was the most wonderful thing ever. It sent his heart racing like the first time they happened to touch.

"You're pretty cool," Dan whispered his voice hoarse from lack of use.

"Thanks." Phil laughed a bit under his breath, "I guess you're pretty cool too."

"I just don't know why you chose to be with me." Dan sighed.

"If I had a choice you think I'd be here right now? I didn't choose you. You wormed your way into my thoughts and wouldn't leave." Phil turned his head and gave Dan a small peck on the cheek, "happy it ended up this way, though."

"Then why do you stay?" Dan asked looking over at his boyfriend. His black hair fell over his one eye before the wind blew it away.

Phil smiled, "I could ask you the same question."

"So are we both going to agree that we don't deserve each other?" Dan asked.

"Sounds right." Phil sat up leaving Dan alone on the ground, "hey, what day is it?"

"April..." Dan trailed off trying to remember, "fourth I think?"

"We've been dating for three weeks today," Phil said as Dan sat up.

"Almost a month." Dan commented, "where are you going to take me?"

"Take you?" Phil huffed and lightly pushed on Dans chest, "where are you taking me?"

Dan laughed, "I was kidding. But what do you want to do?"

"I don't know." Phil shrugged, "we'll figure something out."

Dan nodded, "I hate school." 

"You're almost done."  Phil leaned against the side of the gazebo.

"Not soon enough."  Dan huffed, "you're lucky you're done."

"I know."  Phil nodded, "I thank god every day that I'm out of that hell hole."  Casting a pitiful look at Dan Phil squeezed his hand, "sorry, I'm sure your last few months will be great."

Dan trailed his fingers over Phil's, "I want to get far away from here."

"That's good."  Phil smiled, "I think it's good for people to get out of their hometowns."

"Me too."  Dan shifted himself so he was leaning on Phil's shoulder, not letting go of his hand.

Phil stifled a sigh and leaned his head against the wooden wall behind him, "I wish I was that eager for life."

"You're not?"  Dan asks waiting for Phil to make eye contact but he never does.  Instead, he trains his gaze at the ceiling. 

Phil pursed his lips, "you're just so full of life and have so much to offer the world.  I'm jealous, that's all."  Phil contemplated his thoughts, "let's move on."

"Okay."  Dan agreed and looked up at Phil smiling, "you should kiss me again."

"You're so needy."  Phil shook his head.