Prologue

He loved her.

He loved her enough to cross the oceans, to travel from earth to moon, to count all the stars in the universe just to 
confess his love for her. Maybe, she didn't loved him as much as she did, all those years ago. But that, in no way means that, his love for her deteriorated. No. The moment he saw her, he knew that he'd love her for the rest of his eternal life and his love would only ever increase, day by day, with each passing second. 

ALL THEIR ATTEMPTS AT SUBTERFUGE HAD BEEN IN VAIN.

With ice in her heart, she watched him prepare to defend her. His intense concentration betrayed no hint of doubt, though he was outnumbered. She knew that they could expect no help - at this moment, his family was fighting for their lives just as surely as he was for theirs. And at that moment, she decided that she'd die for him.

Would she ever learn the outcome of that other fight? Find out who the winners and the losers were? Would she live long enough for that? 

The odds of that didn't look so great.

Black eyes, wild with their fierce craving for her death, watched for the moment when her protector's attention would be diverted. The moment when she would surely die.

Somewhere, far, far away in the cold forest, a wolf howled.