Chapter - 16

The tall form of a man walked down the steps, the figure ripped his phone out from his pocket ; 2:10. He was completely and utterly screwed for the job interview, he was to be attending at 2:30. He swore that if he would not get this job, he would throttle and suck the blood out of his rather attractive neighbor.  He hopped into his Jaguar SUV and turned up the music as loud as he could and hit the accelerator. Thankfully, the roads were clear as he set off from his house. He had to get that job. He had to meet her. He wanted her to look into his eyes when she talked to him. No more stalking.

He pulled up in front of a sparkling silver skyscraper and, after a few moments of silent awe, parked his car in the parking lot occupying the space behind the building. It was a huge building, all curved glass and steel. He walked hastily to the side which contained the alternate entrance; in the reflection he tousled his hair slightly, smoothed his jacket. He walked down the bright hallway and took a left which lead to the expansive lobby. There was a spacious glass-walled meeting room with an equally spacious dark wood table and matching chairs around it. Beyond that, there was a floor-to-ceiling window with the view of Seattle skyline that looks out throughout the city. 

He took in it’s entirety – a white, crystal chandelier hung from the middle of the room above a variety of leather seats accompanied with personal servers. He shook his head and smirked as he thought of her. He walked with the confidence that no human could muster and anyone who stood there, was enchanted by his ‘beauty’. He shook his head and smiled at the absurdity of him being beautiful. Heads turned on his arrival and the familiar shameless staring began. The girls eyed him tip-to-toe and a few giggles were heard as he walked past them. The only sound he concentrated on was the heartbeat of the humans around him and their scents, in hopes to listen the rhythm of a particular heartbeat or inhale the trace of her scent. Behind the white counter, sat a tall, model-like woman with blond hair that flowed down to her narrow waist. Lazily, the lady lifted up her head and was about to give him an annoyed look, as if he was inconveniencing her in some way.

He sent her his most charming smile and inwardly sighed in triumph when the woman’s eyes glazed over, and then hooded with lust. Deceiving humans was bloody easy.

“Nathaniel Biers. I’m here to see Ms. Lia Culver,” said the figure rolling his eyes, annoyed when she practically undressed him with her eyes. She sighed as if it would pain her to leave him. And to a point, it would. He knew what effect vampires had on humans. He could make them fall in love with him. He could make them lust over him. And he could get everything else out of their minds, except him. Such was the nature of a vampire – unstoppable, invincible, desirable.

“Mr. Biers, the elevator is right over there,” she said gesturing to the left. “It’s level 24. Have a wonderful day.” The last sentence was said quietly, dripping with sadness. But he ignored her and secured the folder containing his resume before heading towards the elevator. He looked back and saw that she was looking at his back and blushed furiously, as she was caught staring. Thanking her, he walked over to the bank of elevators. 

He tapped his foot impatiently on the ground as he pressed 24 on it. The doors mercifully closed and he rubbed his temples in frustration. He leaned against the wall of the elevator and thought about her. Would she recognize him? Would she hug him as she hugged that Edward five years ago? Would she murmur sweet things in his ears as she did with Edward? Would she giggle or laugh at his joke and kiss his cheek lovingly whenever she saw him? Or would she allow him to wrap his arms around her waist? Maybe or maybe not. Maybe she’d not love him, but she would accept him, because he won’t give her any other choice. He straightened up as he heard the ding of the bell.

Unlike the lobby, that area screamed glamour, a combination of dark and bright colors surrounded him. Again, he found himself in a large room - all glass, metal and white sandstone. Designers, employees and clients walked past him as he rediscovered his confident air, as he walked towards the door that read ‘Lia Culver’.