Chapter - 19

Lia inhaled the citrusy, woodsy smell. To her it was pleasant and the lightings were soft and subtle, just as it always had been. The walls were white and glass, and the ceiling was high with a deep grey color. The room was spacious and the floor was old varnished wood. There was a large shelf that was fastened to the wall, facing a number of CD’s of his classical collection. The shelves were made of high-polished white wood with restraining cuffs in the corner.

“Edward, this is your room,” stated Lia in a whisper as she stood by the door, still.

“You just stated the obvious, Lia. Of course this is my room or have you forgotten it too?” Edward’s tone was icy, Lia noticed and kept herself from shivering in front of him.

“Is this where I’ll live for the next few days?”

“Yeah. Alice has already unpacked your luggage,” said Edward as he gently took Lia by her arm. He heard her quiet voice and regretted it, knowing that he scared her by his tone. “Come, let me show you around the room.”

Lia gasped as his hand touched her lower back. The electrifying touch made a throaty moan build up in her throat and she bit her lip to bite it back. A small whimper escaped her lips, anyways. Edward heard that small voice and his eyebrows furrowed in concern. “Are you feeling well?”

“Yeah. I just tend to get very tired when I sit for too long,” she lied skillfully.

“I’ll give you a tour of the house later then. You sleep now.”

“Where?” asked Lia confusedly, gazing at Edward with such innocence that Edward breathing hitched right there. He gulped as he placed his hands inside his pockets in a tight fist – that was the only thing that was keeping him from pulling her into his arms and kiss her or make love to her right there.

Edward took Lia’s hand carefully in his, automatically assuming that she’d take her hand back. But she didn’t. Instead, she squeezed his hand. He knew that she wasn't aware of what she was doing, just like the day she made him fall in love with her - slowly and without knowing it. Edward noticed how perfectly her small hand fitted in his large one – like they were made for each other. Heat seeped into his skin before it was radiated off from hers and together they walked to the bed.

Lia gasped. This time audibly, as she looked at the bed in front of her. The bed was large – not too large but enough to make two people comfortably sleep.  It was a double bed with a dark mahogany comforter with pretty patterns designed into it. The pillows, she thought, looked very soft even from a distance. Beside the bed was a side-table with formal and quite antique-looking lamps resting on it.

“A mattress would’ve sufficed. You shouldn’t have brought a new bed.”

“I wanted to,” said Edward as he watched Lia walking forward towards the bed. He ordered that bed a few days before she left. No husband would want his wife to sleep on a couch, would he? But she left. And the bed had been useless ever since. "I'm going for a hunt now. Tell me if you need anything." 

"Goodnight Edward."

"Goodnight Lia."

She changed into a comfortable white nightgown with two straps and all she wanted to do was to go to sleep. It was a very complicated night and for her, drifting off to the dreamworld was a lot better than being anywhere in reality. Everything had been so confusing to her lately, especially after her conversation with Esme. As she sat on the edge of the bed, her eyes caught the red velvet box that was placed on the bedside table. The box looked familiar but she couldn't place what it was. Curiously, she took it into her hands and opened it, anxiety getting the best of her. A sharp pang of pain shot up through her heart, as if paralyzing her as she saw a promise ring – her promise ring. The ring was still the same - diamonds engraved and polished platinum. Esme said the truth, somethings never change.