Chapter - 13

Edward's eyes had continued to bore into Lia's back all evening, sending shivers and tingles and sensations of prickly heat down her spine. But not once had she dared to look back at him. If she had, not only would there have been a very good chance she wouldn’t have been able to break the eye contact, but it would have only given him encouragement. His odd behaviour had her mind reeling. A mind that was too worn out and confused to reel any longer. Now all Lia wanted to do was shower, have a nibble on something bland, her stomach was not going to accept a decent meal anytime soon, and then catch up on her sleep.

The first thing she did as she entered her room was relieve herself of the high heels. She allowed her feet to sink into the lush hallway carpet, groaning with pleasure. Lia saw that the light on the landline phone that sat on the hallway cabinet was flashing. No, she wouldn’t check her messages. The outside world was going to be blocked out for a while, she didn’t want to think or hear about anything. In fact, she’d even switch off her mobile phone.

She saw the figure in her peripheral vision a mere second before she heard the voice.

“Late night with Nicolas?” It was said with bitterness. 

Lia’s heart skipped a beat and her jaw dropped; there was Edward lounging comfortably on her sofa with Toddy sprawled over his lap. The dog lifted his head and looked at her. “Traitor,” she mumbled at him before turning her attention back to the intruder. “What the bloody hell are you doing here?” She needn’t bother asking how he got inside her room. She noticed that he was wearing the same blue shirt and black trousers that he had been wearing at the event.

“I told you I wouldn’t be far.”

“Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realise that was code for ‘I’ll make myself comfortable in your room.”

Edward leant forward and clasped his hands together, exploring her with his eyes. That feral glare of hers stole his breath. He was itching to touch her, hold her, kiss her and do unimaginable things to her, with her. “You’re afraid to let yourself get comfortable somewhere.” He rose and stalked over to where she stood at the edge of the living area. “Tell me why you've been ignoring me.”

Lia crossed her arms over her chest, mimicking his confrontational stance. “Is it not obvious that I just didn’t have any interest in meeting up with you?” 

“It’s more than that. Last night you treated me like a virtual stranger.”

“Aren’t you? It’s been a long time. Things change. People change.”

“I haven’t.”

“I have.”

He shook his head. "I can see that. But you’re still you. You’re still my Lia," he added softly.

“Bastard,” she said through gritted teeth. "I’m not your Lia. Never was. Now get off out of here!” She stormed over to the kitchen area. The tap, kettle and mug bore the brunt of her anger as she made herself a coffee – she needed to be doing something while infuriation was riding her. Still my Lia? Cheeky vampire. He honestly thought that a few years of looking out for her gave him any rights over her? Now that was some messed up logic.

A moment later her sideways version alerted her to the fact that Edward was leaning against the refrigerator watching her. It wasn’t until she took the first sip of her coffee that he spoke.

“I’m sorry.”

He did sound genuinely contrite but Lia ignored that.

“I never wanted to say those things to you.”

She continued sipping her drink as she leant back against the kitchen counter, refusing to look at him. Because to look at him and that gorgeous face and those sleek muscles was to crave him. But she was kidding herself if she thought she could block out the animalistic magnetism that seeped from him, or how seductive and alluring his voice was, or how his raw masculinity was beating at her defenses. All that together with the sexual tension and her own anger swirling around her and she was about ready to boil. God make him go!