Chapter - 14

Sleep didn’t come easy, but Lia was thankful that she at least had two hours of it. Although things had always tended to feel better after a snooze, that hadn’t worked so well this time. But with the aid of coffee, chocolate, T.V. Her mind eventually became occupied by other things. Until Bella turned up at her room, her face painted with sympathy.

Lia was instantly uneasy. “What?”

Bella chewed her bottom lip as she entered the room. “You seen today’s paper?”

It was only then that Lia noticed that Bella had one rolled up in her hand. “Give me the brief version.”

“Okay. Well. There’s a big photo of you and Edward Cullen glaring at each other all lustfully last night. The tabloids are loving this because you're not one for being forward, the boys usually do the chasing. They’ve made it seem all romantic, saying Edward's been entranced. How cheesy’s that? Another reporter dubbed it ‘Lust at First Sight’.”

“That doesn’t sound that bad. It’s just general crap."

“I mean that I don’t know how to get him to understand the meaning of the word ‘no’. It didn’t matter what I said to him, nothing made a blind bit of difference. He still argued, he still argued about whether I wanted him, he still kissed me -”

“Kissed you? What was it like?”

Lia threw her a look full of exasperation. “Focus, Bella. How do I get rid of him?”

“Are you sure you want to get rid of him?”

“Positive. Bella, he’s like a bloody tornado, he whirls in your life, makes a mess, and whirls back out just as fast. I won’t be used like that.” It would hurt too much.

“But you kissed him back, I’ll bet.”

“It’s a little hard to resist someone you’ve lusted after for ten years,” said Lia defensively which made Bella smile.

“I can imagine. How long’s it been since you last had a shag?”

“Too bloody long.”

“Well…” Bella crossed her legs and started drumming her acrylic nails on the arm of the sofa. “I’d say go have a one-night stand to burn off some of that sexual frustration, but I know you don’t do those. If Edward was anyone else, I’d suggest acting like you’re in a relationship but he already thinks you’re with Nicolas and he will not be too happy by it.”

“That reminds me, I’m going to have to tell Edward I’ve ‘dumped’ Nicolas. The thought of doing what he wants pisses me off but Nicolas seems alright and he deserves to live.”

“Let me ask you a question. All the issues aside, do you want to shag Edward? It’s just…last night I thought you were going to jump each other’s bones right there in front of everyone. Maybe one shag to burn him out of your system wouldn’t be such a bad thing.”

“Bella,” groaned Lia. “I want to get rid of him, not encourage him.”

“I know, I know. What I’m trying to say is you looked like you were up for it just as much as he did, and if that’s true and he’s not going to let this go, you might end up having a moment of weakness and then you’d hate yourself for it afterwards. Why not, instead, turn the tables? Become the one to take a step?”

"The one to take a step?" 

"Yeah." 

"I don't play games." 

The defection of most of her friends to Edward after the breakup, made her realize how dependent on him she'd become. She was a little shocked. Why had this never occurred to hee before? Because she'd never thought Edward and herself could end?

Foolish, naïve assumption. Obviously.

“It’s not a game,” insisted Bella. “I mean you instigate the seduction. That way, it will be on your terms and you’ll be using him. No strings attached.. You’ll get him out of your system and then you’ll be the one walking away afterwards."

Lia could actually see the logic in that. She wouldn’t have to worry about how her will seemed to crumble when he touched her because the whole thing would have been her doing. She would have back the control that she lost over her life when he unsettled it. He hadn’t just walked back into her life, no, he had barged into it. And his kisses weren’t coaxing. Oh no. He had kissed and touched like he had every right to. Like he owned her. Like he possessed every inch, every sinew if her body. Like he possessed her very soul. That’s what had got to her the most, he was taking the choice and the control from her.

"I need something to get shit out of my mind." 

"Wanna go out tonight?" Bella asked wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.