Chapter - 22

“Were you dreaming about me?” asked Edward as he kissed Lia’s forehead lovingly.

“No,” she lied as a pinkish hue tinted her cheeks, but she could use the coldness of his body as her excuse.

“Tell me.” Edward moved closer, resisting the urge to touch her. She was breathing roughly, she fanned a shaky hands over her face. “Lia?” By now, her hands were over her face, completely hiding the view of that beautiful face, much to Edward’s displeasure.

After a long, tense minute, she looked at him peeking through her eyelashes as her blush deepened.

“I dreamt about you.”

He frowned. “What happened?” She swallowed loudly. “Lia, tell me what happened.”

“We were in the meadow.”

Edward’s eyebrows knit together in confusion. “Why would you dream about it?”

She inhaled, drawing the material of her nightgown over her exposed cleavage. The material was white and she reminded him of an Athenian statue.

He gently ran his fingers over her skin. “Lia, talk to me.”

She squirmed under his piercing topaz eyes, but he would not let her go. “The dream was beautiful, Edward. We were there in our meadow, laying together while holding each other. I fell asleep in your arms,” said Lia as she bit her lip, suddenly feeling shy. Edward grinned crookedly at her as he brushed away the hair that fell over her shoulder, hiding her face from him. “But, when I woke up, you were there beside me and when I turned to the side, a woman was watching us from the shadow of the trees.”

“You dreamed of a woman watching us? Ha! Were we naked in that dream?” His tone cooled to mask his discomfort.

Lia didn’t smiled. She remained silent. The fire in his belly was instantly quenched and was replaced by worry. Surely her anxiety was understandable, if not pitiable.

He unwound her clenched fingers and kissed them repentantly. “I love you, Lia. I’m not going to let anything happen to you. You know that, right?”

“It would hurt so much to lose you now,” she whispered.

With a frown he wrapped an arm around her shoulder, pressing her cheek to his chest. A myriad of memories crowded his mind as he thought back to what had transpired the evening before. Edward leaned forward to kiss her, but she turned her head. “I haven’t brushed my teeth.”

“I don’t care,” he growled and lowered his lips to her neck, kissing across her quickening pulse.

“I’d like to clean up first.”

He huffed in frustration, taking hold of one of her elbows. “Don’t let your nightmare ruin what we have.”

“I’m not.” She tried to drape the blanket over her to cover up. The nightgown was backless, dipping low at her hip and the straps that held the dress at her shoulders were so thin, that she was afraid that the dress might fall off at any moment.

She was about to wrap the sheet around herself, but Edward caught hold of it. His eyes were sparkling with mischief.

“I need the sheet to make the  bed.”

Her eyes traveled from the white fabric that was clutched between her fingers, to his face. He looked like a panther waiting to pounce upon it’s pray.

“What’s the problem?” he asked, stifling a grin.

Lia blushed and held the material more tightly and looked down. With a chuckle, he released the sheet from his hold and pulled her into his awaiting arms.
“You don’t need to be shy. You’re beautiful. If I had my wish, you’d never wear clothes again.”