Chapter Nine

I screamed as Ben's heart stopped. The man's gun turned to me. Tears streamed down my face. Though I didn't know him so well, I knew that he understood me, was a friend, and ally, and now he was gone. He wasn't breathing.

“Help him” I screamed to the top of my lungs. “Or let me out so I can help him” I pleaded as I screamed, tears streaming down my face as I said it.

“What the HELL are you doing?” I heard a voice scream as footsteps entered the room. My dad was in the room.

“She's an alien” he said as he pointed the gun back to my head.

“She's MY daughter Lyle” my dad screamed as he jumped on him, removing his gun from his hand. He hadn't even looked at Ben's dead body, which was just laying there; right in front of him.

“Wait what?” he stuttered as my dad held the man's gun in his hand.

“NO!!!!!!” I heard someone scream in the background. Tom Mason had ran into the room; his son on the floor; no longer breathing. Tears had begun running down his face as he knelt down next to his son. “No no no no no” he kept repeating, hugging him. “NO” he screeched.

Anthony had at this point opened my cage and was instructing me to get out of the cell, placing Lyle and the other two men inside. My father opened his arms as though to hug me, which surprised me considering his reaction before. But I didn't care. I ran towards Ben. I didn't care whether or not anyone knew, but I was asking for help. I wasn't letting Ben just die for me. I couldn't.

“Karen” I thought loudly, hoping she could hear. “KAREN” I screamed, yet never spoke a word.

Yes!” she said, obviously aware of what I was about to say. “Let me take over Tanya. I can bring him back. Just let me take over.” she said but I answered with “I want to know what I'm doing”

“Very well” she said hesitantly and then, I realised what had been going on for so long. My eyes must have been that blue colour they were describing, because what I was seeing was not your average everyday usual sight. I saw everything differently.

Things were much less emotional and much more calculated. I didn't see Ben as a friend but rather an asset. I didn't see my dad as a father, but more as an enemy and threat. And Tom, I saw him not as a father who had just lost his child, but as a future and important ally.

And I knew exactly what to do. Karen didn't need to speak. It was as if she had transferred the information to me. Then again, that is probably what was happening. I walked over to Ben, and Tom moved over, as if he knew that something was going to happen. He looked in shock but he was still crying, which made him seem so fragile. Yet pity was not something I was feeling at the time.

I walked over to him and knelt over. On his belt he had a knife, and of course his hand-gun. I grabbed the knife and took it in my right hand, slicing my left palm. Pain struck me but it wouldn't slow me down. Blood begun to stream down my hand and I knew I did not have long until the wound was to heal itself once more.