Chapter Twelve

“What about Brandon” I asked in a higher pitch than intended.

“Well, it's complicated to explain” he said and I begun to get highly annoyed.

“Well” I said fairly aggressively “ I have time” I said slowly trying to seem less aggravated but sounding more along the lines of psychopathic.

“There... there is a reason why Brandon didn't suffer from the 'illness' you did” he said in a tone I couldn't clarify. All I knew was that it wasn't good.

“What do you mean?” I asked concerned.

“There are one of three possibilities. You are the only person who know about the third though. And, I'd like to keep it that way.” he said hesitantly.

“My dad told me that it was either because he hasn't got the gene or because he does have it but can control it. What else is there?” I asked truly nervous now. I had no idea what he was about to come out with and that terrified me.

“I need to ask you a few questions if that's OK. When the invasion happened, did Brandon's attitude change at all? Anything, even the slightest difference. You may think it is irrelevant, but everything could help.” he said as he held my hand. “It doesn't have to be bad or good, just anything.”

“Well, he seemed happier, but I don't think that has anything to do with … whatever you think it has to do with; he just didn't feel the pressure of society any more. He hated socialising, and when people weren't around that kind of took the problem away, you know?” I asked as he sympathetically nodded. Whatever I had just told him made his attitude change, his facial expression go darker, making me unsure whether or not I wanted to hear it.

“So, when he wanted to get … away from people, was there a specific place he used to go? A place where he would 'hide away from society' so to speak? His … safe haven?” he asked as he looked deeply in my eyes. Though usually that would have been taken as a romantic gesture, it didn't feel right.

Something was wrong … I could sense something to be very wrong. He looked at me blankly… I was scared. He wasn't norm- I couldn't even brea- what the-

Everything went dark. As I toppled to the ground I noticed Ben's back. His spikes were lit blue. Whoever I was talking to, it wasn't Ben.

-1 hour later-

I woke up; my head pounding. I could hear the voices, the noises of all the electrical appliances known to man turned on and getting louder and louder until it became difficult to think, to breathe. I tried to look around me but my vision was cloudy. I could see colours, orange and yellow, fluorescent, but I could tell what was around me exactly. Sweat dripped down my face as the heat ran through my body, making me burn up.

The only thing I knew for sure was that wherever I was, I wasn't in Charleston. I tried very hard to move, but even though I wasn't tied down, I felt drugged. I couldn't move and everything around me was going slow, yet painfully.