Chapter Twenty-Seven

Tanya's POV

She kneeled down, her whole body shaking. She'd killed that Skitter. And she'd done it because of Karen.

“Very good!” Karen laughed in the background, but she tried desperately to drown her out. Brandon was in the background, his hands on his head. Fear was the one emotion in his face that truly stood out. He could do everything she could, couldn't he? Why was he scared?

Go away!” Tanya communicated before turning to the Skitter to see what she had actually done. Blood, or what seemed to be blood, was pouring out of it's shattered brain. It was as if she had literally twisted it's whole body … the results were horrendous.

“You don't really want me to leave Tanya. Not now -”

“-I think I do actually. I know what I want and I know what I can do now. So, unless you want to end up like that Skitter I suggest you leave. Now!”

Karen simply looked at her, trying to figure out whether she was truly casting an empty threat. But something inside her told her that it would probably be unwise to test it, as by looking in her mind for a couple of seconds she saw something she hadn't seen in Tanya before.

Anger.

“I'll go … But when you want to call me again, you know how to” she said as she withdrew herself from a possibly dangerous situation.

Brandon tried to walk near her, but could immediately feel the tension and decided against it.

“Tani ...”

“Don't you dare come near me again” she practically whispered.

“Tani, look, I'm sorry. I didn't know that she was going to-”

“Go away!” she yelled as she turned around, raising her hand and in extension making him rise off the ground. He grabbed his throat, as if she was strangling him.

“Tani” he struggled.

She tilted her head to one side, watching him struggle. In an instance, she let him fall to the ground, walking away without looking back.

Ben Mason's POV

Lexi was beautiful. She was literally everything he'd imagined his little sister to be. He was holding her, in a room where they had the rest of the newborns - all two of them.

A shooting pain went through his head, and Lexi immediately began to cry. His arms felt weak so he tried to put her back in her cot, and his whole body started to shake. Not from pain, but from fear. His spikes lit up and Lexi's crying seemed to be much louder than it was.

“What's going on?” Lourdes said as she walked into the room, a slight look of fear in her face.

Ben couldn't even think of a response. He had no idea what was going on, but he knew he had to deal with it. He simply walked out of the room, following his gut instinct which was to go to the forest. That's where he felt it come from; and that's where he had to be. Though he could feel it come closer.

Denny's POV

She felt as though an electric current go through her head. What the hell is going on? She asked herself as she suddenly felt a knot through her stomach. A sense of fear. Someone, something was very very wrong.