Chapter Twenty-Two

Tom Mason POV

“Marina” I called as I saw my assistant standing in the courtyard outside our sanctuary, Charleston. “We were ambushed” I said as I got off the horse.

“How? Nobody knew about this mission except for very select few” she responded looking in shock.

“There must be a mole” I said as I came to the sad realisation that someone I trusted had betrayed us and lied about their loyalties.

“We'll talk about it when there aren't as many people around” she said, suddenly aware of the crowd that surrounded us.

“Indeed” I said as I saw Hal getting helped out of the humvee and into his wheelchair.

Him and Maggie were being as adorable as always. I never though that Hal would find anyone so supportive and strong as she is. She has pretty much taken care of him on her own since he got paralysed. She has been his stepping stone ever since it happened and most of his recovery has happened because she was able to support him and get him confident enough to even try to recuperate. He had lost all confidence when he had first realised he couldn't walk. He thought that he would never fight again and just wouldn't talk to anyone. It was Maggie who stayed by his bedside when he refused to eat, to try and go to physio. She was the one who helped him survive.

“Careful, now I'm mobile” he said jokingly to Ben as he was helped down and put on his wheelchair.

“Easy there tiger” Maggie said to him and smiled. “I'll race you Hotwheels” I heard her say to him as Maggie started to run, Hal following with his wheelchair, racing behind her and catching up fast.

“Dad, I'm going to go and help take the harnessed kids inside. Pay a little visit to Tanya, give her an update” Ben came over and told me and I just nodded and smiled. He walked along to the truck where all the kids were being held and helped them out. It wasn't until much later I was to find out what happened after Ben had walked into the building … and then it was too late.

Ben Mason's POV

10 minutes later

I had not let go of Tanya since I walked into the room. I was foaming with anger and regret. I wasn't here to help her when she most needed me. The moment I left her alone she was attacked...

“Please don't go” was all she whispered and it was enough to make me stay without moving a single inch.

“I never will” I whispered back. She was like a sister to me and now someone had hurt her... and I knew who. Jack, her step-father, the person she tried not to talk about to me and Denny, which only made us more suspicious about him.

Having been in her mind I saw it all. The pain, the discomfort, the look on his face...that grin that will be imprinted into my memory until the day I die. He liked what he was doing! How can a person be so sick?

The door opened and we both turned around to see Brandon almost in tears. He didn't even try to hide them, but his tears weren't for show. He honestly seemed like he had experienced....it.