Chapter Twenty-One

Tanya had been laying down in her bed for hours, silent. Staring at the wall in front of her, no one spoke to her or even tried. Suspicious looks by people who passed her by made her feel even worse than she already did, the fear of her vision coming true becoming more strong by the minute.

Ben Mason had not left her bedside, holding her hand and joining her in silence. Neither of them slept, not for one minute, both of them looking either at each other or their opposing walls.

Ben's POV

“Ben” I heard a voice come over my shoulder. I turned around to see dad and Anne, who was now very heavily pregnant. “Are you ready?” he asked obviously referring to the mission.

I looked over to Tanya, who looked at me, giving me a tiny smile. “I need to go” I whispered and she nodded in approval. “I'll be back soon” I reassured her before turning around to join my dad.

The plan was pretty simple. Matt was to detonate a Volm electromagnetic bomb, neutralising the Mechs, and then the 2nd Mass come in, along with the Berzerkers from the ground. Myself, Denny and Tanya were meant to come from up over the rocks using ropes to surprise any ambush Skitters that were lying within the shaft beneath the slope. However, myself and Denny will have to do for now. We extract the harnessed kids and bring them back to Anne, who will then de-harness them with the new Volm machine. She's the only one allowed to operate it at the minute at least, so she is going to have a lot of work to do.

My dad and the Volm will be standing by on horse-back in case anything goes wrong. Though the plan seems pretty simple, you never know what could go wrong, or when you could need back-up.

I felt bad to be leaving Tanya behind, but she knew how important this was. This was the first time that we were going on a mission using Volm technology, making this the first time we could really get an advantage in this war.

It was going to be fine. I'll make Tanya proud, even if she isn't there to see me.

2 hours later

Tanya's POV

It had taken me more than an hour to get up after Ben left to go on the mission. It had been extremely quiet around. No-one really spoke. It wasn't as if they knew about the mission or anything...It was probably all in my head.

“Tanya” I heard that horrifying voice. My step dad. He hadn't left Charleston, just stayed away from myself and Brandon. I was now walking around the corridors of the hospital.

“Stay away from me Jack. Or I swear I will … I don't even know what I'll do, but you most certainly won't like it” I said in a failed attempt to sound aggressive.

“Look, I've stayed away from you so far, don't you think I would have an important reason to come here?” he asked in what seemed to be an honest response.

“What is this about?” I asked unaware of his intentions.