Chapter Eleven

Ben's POV

After about an hour of sleep I woke up. I never really slept more than that. No need since I got my spikes. I needed to speak to Tanya. But it could wait. It had to wait until we could meet uninterrupted. There were things she didn't know. Things she needed to know. Things that nobody else could hear.

Later … we'd meet later.

Tanya's POV

My dad and I had been hugging and talking for about an hour. I told him exactly how I had lost Brandon and what we had to do to survive. I told him about the Florida Fifth, though there was not much to say. I was with them for so little time. Such a shame...

I tried to avoid talking about my stepfather. I think dad got the point though after an aggressive 'I'd rather discuss something else', following a query of his. He didn't have to know. My stepfather Jack was dead. He could never hurt me again.

“Tani” my dad called me as he did all those years ago. “I need to go to work. Visit some people that are in the infirmary. A lot of stuff has happened today. Even before you arrived the day was tense.”

“OK” I said quietly as I unwrapped myself from his arms.

“Look. I don't want you to get into trouble. I need you to stay in here. I will be back as fast as I can OK. If you need anything... Just call for me I guess. Not many people know what you look like, so they won't know who you are. So, you should be safe. Don't tell anyone anything! And if they ask you, just say you are one of the new survivors. I know you don't like lying, so this should be ideal for you” he said as he got up and tidied up the clothes that were lying on the floor. And by clothes I mean like two sweaters or something. He needed his brain occupied. I knew that much about him.

He came and kissed my forehead and before exiting the tent, turned to me with loving eyes and said “Stay safe” to which I mouthed the reply “I will”. Though barely audible, he understood and left.

Now was my chance. Now I could try and find Ben.

Ben's POV

The fact of the matter was she was a Pope. That should have had some impact on her life. Some bad impact I guessed as I ran down the corridor up to the surface. I could meet her up here. Somewhere quiet.

The forest outside” I told her telepathically as I walked towards it; trying not to look suspicious.

“Where are you going Benji?” I heard coming from behind me when I saw a familiar face. It was the person I trusted most outside of my family. Denny.

“Just for a stroll” I teased playfully realising I was in no rush. By the time Tanya had found out where the forest was … well, I had a couple of minutes to spare.