Chapter Fifteen

Karen stood in the middle of the room right next to the group of men. I nearly gasped but realised that alerting them of her presence would only make things worse. So I simply stared to what they would have thought would have been the wall. Brandon turned around to see what I was looking at and I was frighteningly surprised by his shock. He could see her. He turned back to me and simply said “Shhh” leaving me to wonder further about his abilities and perhaps even consider what Manchester had told me. He got up as fast as he could, going over to Tom asking if he could tell him where the bathroom was. What was he doing?

After Tom told him where it was, he looked at me and smiled, leaving the room and Karen following! I didn't know why or how but she could obviously communicate with him, or else she would have stayed in plain sight.

Ben walked back into the room after a couple of minutes, the moment he saw Brandon leaving the room. It was obvious he had something to say, and by the look on his face I gathered it wasn't good.

Brandon's POV

I went to the bathroom and Karen followed me. I needed to speak to her. I knew that Tanya had seen her, but that wouldn't be too much of an issue. I would just blame it on post-traumatic stress, or maybe even her 'schizophrenia'. No-one would believe her; no-one ever did.

But for now I had Karen to deal with. I checked the toilets and they were empty. To my good fortune.

“So, what do you want?” I asked the second I entered the bathroom.

“You escaped. And you helped Tanya and Ben escape. You promised Brandon. You promised you would behave, if ever we decided that we needed your help, in exchange for us leaving you both alone. After of course the Florida Fifth had been demolished, we were the ones providing food for your precious sister. We were the ones telling you where to stay and avoid battlefields. And you simply return that trust by betraying us when your end of the bargain comes up? I think it's hardly fair, don't you?” Karen asked, her arms crossed and her tone angry, even psychotic.

“Well, you never said that Tanya would be part of this deal. NEVER was she mentioned. Nor did you tell me a major detail. She has our abilities!” I screamed as quietly as I could without getting understood by everyone outside the rest room and anyone who passed by.

“Yes that is something I found out surprisingly late. You know, she can't be sensed.” Karen said truly looking as baffled as I was. She honestly didn't seem to know. That was either a really good thing, or she was simply lying to me. Either was, I was unsure where her abilities and potential lay, so I would rather not make an enemy of her. Karen was one of those people with whom you stay on the fence with, people you don't trust enough to be your allies but you don't want as your enemy. So, I had to be diplomatic about the situation. And perhaps get something out of it.

“So what exactly do you want? Besides payback which no offence, I don't believe you will be able to get. Now that we are here, it is quite hard for you to get in and, not to break the news to you, but as you clearly seen at the old warehouse, your Skitters are quite willing to listen to me” I said sounding quite arrogant but not caring. I was right. I was just as powerful as she was, if not more. And she wasn't born with the connection, which made me have a deeper connection into the system. She was just a random harnessed kid, I was an actual hybrid. Comparison between the two was idiotic.