Prologue

"All of humanity outside our walls have been wiped out. We are the only ones left."

Those words she heard at the dinner table one night when she was a child scared her. She was part of a military family, nothing really all too special considering the majority of the Celtic people are somehow connected to the military as of late. But the thing that made her so special was that she was the only daughter to the successor of the throne. Her family before this event was no means royalty, rather her father was nominated by the king and the people agreed on his decision whole-heartedly. Her father was a high-ranked commander, having many successful battle strategies to protect people from the Titans.

Titans. The young girl thought that it was impossible for that to happen, that humanity would be so close to being wiped out. With only one younger brother and a mother long dead, the girl was probably more aware of what was happening outside the walls than most adults, even some military officials. She remembers it being strange how many were not willing to ask questions about the people who rejected their people when the Titans first made their appearance. The legends were told to children at an early age, so they could realize that the world abandoned them, humanity left them to die, but they persevered. The entire Celtic race found an island, far enough out of the range of a Titans jumping distance with water deep enough that those monsters would be very submerged if they stood on the bedrock. It was the perfect place to build a new home. Two kings previous to her father decided to build a wall almost 75 meters tall because they had noticed that, even though massive in size, Titans could float, but not swim. The last thing anyone wanted was to be attacked on such a small area with no where to go.

Strangely enough, that very same king put in a strange law about children. Families were only allowed to have a maximum of two children but emphasized the importance of both sexes by stating if a family is found killing a child because it is not a boy, will themselves be put to death. It was smart because with the clan name being passed on by the males, naturally father's would want boys. However, if only boys were being born, there would not be enough women to have children in the future.

The young girl's father idolized the two kings before him, because of their strong leadership skills in the face of danger and horrible odds.

The young girl, now 25, walked through the town that had been surviving well over the past years. There were few crimes because of how peaceful it was.

"Morrigan!" Someone yelled to her, taking her out of her thoughts of her cherished childhood. The voice belonged to her younger brother, Tanguy, who just turned 20 the past spring. "Father wishes to see you in the training grounds." He added, moving slower but still keeping somewhat of a distance. When he saw her smile in acknowledgment, he turned on his heels and made his way back to their home.

The emerald eyed red head sighed, knowing very much what this lecture was going to be about. Morrigan wasn't a normal 25-year-old and definitely not a normal girl. Most girls, especially around her age were married and already barred their first child. It wasn't that Morrigan wasn't asked to be wed to anyone, she was, almost every day. However, with her father being as busy as he was, she spent a lot of time with her brother, teaching him how to fight and use the weapons the military had. She was very strong from an early age, always challenging the men of the military to practice her skills and then taught what she had learned to her brother. This strategy worked well because she could now protect herself and her brother was able to become very strong, being named the youngest Corporal in history at age 16. Many army men congratulated her on how hard she worked to help her brother but many girls and elders thought it was beyond strange.

Walking through the compound, Morrigan said hi to the familiar faces that had been around since she was a little girl. They were some of the people that didn't understand why her father was so angry with the fact that she wasn't married. When asked, her father would always say something along the lines of 'It is her civil duty as a woman.' Since women were not allowed to fight, their duty was basically to raise the children and become well versed in medicine. That is not to say that woman had no power, because that is totally the opposite. They could very well chose their own men and were part of their societies decision in going on surveying expeditions, having their own power and just as courageous and prideful as any other man. This always made Morrigan confused as to way her father was so disappointed in her.