Chapter 21: The First Hurdle

Quietly the group of Celts walked through the forest, knowing that not too far off to their left was Squad Levi and the one hope this entire mission was riding on. They all had their hoods over their heads, no one looking from the outside would be able to tell who was who. Morrigan was at the front of the group, steering them through the thick trees as some of the people behind her began speaking about random things. She couldn't help but have Levi on her mind, knowing that he was walking with the same determined steps as she was to get everyone they were in charge of home safe.

The distance to walk to the foot of the mountain was starting to get the better of Powell, mumbling that it was getting close to dawn, his comment pulling Morrigan out of her thoughts. "We should be there soon." She said, patting Orion on his nose as they continued to walk. Every now and then they would see a Titan, having to stop to make sure it wasn't moving before continuing their trek. Eventually they found the foot of the mountain, meeting up with Levi's squad and giving them a nod as the squads behind them caught up and formed one large group. Morrigan met up with Levi, going beside him and rode the rest of the way in silence, after all, she was a part of that squad now. She smiled to him as she looked under her hood, noticing he was constantly glancing over at her at they continued their trek. Eventually, they made it to the towns outside of the first wall, the horses hooves stirring up the dirt as they galloped through the streets.

"The sun is starting to rise!" Erwin's voice yelled, "Be careful of hiding Titans and begin the operation! Everyone switch to vertical movement!" He ordered as everyone saw the gaping hole in their sights. As ordered, everyone abandoned their horse, either moving to the roof of the houses or to the wall, easily landing on the surface. One hundred soldiers made their way towards the outer wall, to try and distract the enemy if they were anywhere around as a measure to keep Eren safe. Morrigan looked out to the destroyed district, the crumbing homes and collapsed bridged showing the war zone that it was those many years ago, before she had ever come to the closed off cities.

"Don't stop!" Levi yelled, making Morrigan look back as she jumped from the top of the wall. She saw Eren in a daze, looking out to the destruction of his childhood home. "Get to the outer gate!" Levi yelled again, pushing him a little towards the other edge of the wall. The redhead weaved through the buildings, eventually getting to her station in the middle of the town. She stood on the roof top as others zipped by her, the wind causing her to hold her hood over her features.

Why isn't there a single Titan around? Morrigan thought as she kept her guard up. You would think there would be at least some here making their way through the gate. We must have walked right into their hands. She heard a gun shot go off, causing her to look back at the outer edge to see green flares making their way into the sky, indicating the operation was to continue. Taking a deep breath, Morrigan, and everyone else, watched as Eren leaped into the sky, ready to do whatever it took to block the wall. Just before he hit the ground, there was a bright flash where he was, the light even blinding to Morrigan in her position. The crystallized form soon appeared, causing people to let go of the breath they were holding. It was quite frightening, the sparkling rock in the sun holding such a menacing form. Shaking her head, the strong emerald eyes looked around the city, still seeing no sight of any enemy person or Titan. Hearing more gun shots she looked back to the gate, seeing two green flares in the sky. It had worked!

Eren had completely blocked the hole and started moving toward the inner gate, causing Morrigan to come up to the wall as she almost stepped in something. It looked like soot from a fire but that would make no sense. She smeared it with her boot to make sure that she wasn't hallucinating but when she saw the black colour slightly fade, she popped up her head. Someone had made themselves very comfortable before the fighters had arrived, meaning they were ready for the attack. Suddenly a red flare came up, a little to her left as she saw Erwin yelling at some of the soldiers. She walked up to them only for them to disperse before she ever got to the group. "What's going on?" She asked.