Chapter 1: Celtics Reply

Morrigan was already up at first light, preparing her horse for the long ride to wherever the survivors were. According to the letter, the civilization was about 120 miles North from the shore of the mainland which meant it would take at most three hours for the primary squads to reach them and an additional hour or two for the squads that were carrying supplies. The legion was ready to leave by about an hour after sunrise, making their way to the gates and waiting for the bridge to be ready.

In cases of emergency during the times when the water was running, like if food supply was running low or something unimaginable happened, the town agreed to create a bridge. It was long enough to reach the mainland, wide enough for the supply carts to cross and sturdy enough to hold large masses, but not enough to hold a large amount of weight concentrated in one area.

As they waited, some men, mainly the younger ones, were having second thoughts about the decision to leave, some saying that what if they die on duty they would never have the chance to have a family. Morrigan sighed, knowing some of those boys were right, that some would not return and would never have a family of their own. "Not getting cold feet are you?" Varney whispered into her ear.

"Of course not. I just have a feeling this is going to be a blood bath." She replied, patting her horse, Orion. His strong muscles in his neck caused his black hair to twitch a bit at the sudden touch. Morrigan had Orion since she was 14 and it wasn't an easy process for her. He was a thoroughbred Arabian, much like many of the other horses within the Scouting Legion. However, unlike the others, he was a stallion, causing worry about the aggressive behaviour that is associated with them. No one wanted him, so Morrigan offered to take him on, allowing her to prove to her father that she should be allowed to take part in military horse training as well. Even though she didn't train the aggressiveness out, he was very calm and gentle towards other people and horses. It was Morrigan's first success to get closer to the military.

"Well it's expected when it's against those under-evolved Titans." He laughed.

"That's not who I'm worried about." Morrigan mumbled as some creaks came from the gates being opened.

"Then what are you worried about?"

"*sigh* What if...we are rejected when we meet up with the remaining people? After all, that letter could have been meant for someone else."

"So you are getting cold feet about your decision to persuade everyone to go?" Morrigan nodded. "Well, it's too late now and besides, most of the men are happy to be leaving and getting some action. Look around, most of the faces are excited."

Morrigan was the second row from the gate, right behind Commander Fearghus and Captain Oskar, a well respected captain known for his unique fighting style and good looks. The Commander and Captain ahead of her both had worry in their eyes, probably because they were eavesdropping on the conversation behind them. Morrigan shifted slightly in her saddle to get a good look at the people behind her, realizing that Varney was right. There were very few people that looked worried, most had excited expressions on their faces. "Move out!" The Commander yelled, causing Morrigan to quickly kick Orion as she turned back to face forward, unaware of what waited for them across the water.

*********************************

"We sent that letter a week ago! What do you mean you didn't receive it!?" An official yelled at Commander Erwin, not believing the idea that the messenger bird never got to him.

"It means what I am telling you. The Scouting Legion has not received any messenger birds since three months back."

"But the bird returned empty handed, so where is the letter?"