Chapter 18: Two Pairs

"So, what do you have to report?" Morrigan's father asked, seated at the head of the large table in the single roomed building they were in. All important military personnel were there along with the council members. Morrigan began explaining the long and detailed report that she had memorized over the past six months. Every accident, every victory, every lose and every gain, down to even the slightest things that may be considered unimportant right now but could be important for later. Everyone was shocked to hear the details of what the Titans were like outside of the reach of the island, how determined they seemed to be to get at the human race again. What shocked them to most, however, was the fact that they had learned that the Titans were all people at some point.

"It's important to note," She said over the voices, "that the Scouting Legion are conducting experiments to figure out why only certain people are turning into Titans and not everyone. Unfortunately, there has been no success in these experiments but they believe the answer may lie in a home in one of the first districts that were destroyed. The regiment I was assigned to has come up with a plan to get there but we are still having trouble executing it."

"That is why you are requesting to stay at least another two months?" Her father questioned, seeing the reason behind it all.

"Yes, that's right. I have been given a special role in the plan so I think it is only right that I stay until it is seen through."

"And what role might that be?" A seconds-in-command asked. "Commander Fearghus never spoke about this to me."

"Nor I." Many other military commanders and seconds-in-command replied.

"Well, that's part of the next thing I needed to report." She said, her voice lowering in volume a bit as she lowered her head.

"Are you talking about that important change?" Her father asked, getting a nod from his daughter immediately.

"Yes. You see, it appears that I have moved to the next stage of the curse." Morrigan uttered slowly, instantly seeing the shocked faces around the room and her father. "It was unexpected, obviously, but Varney and Weylyn have agreed to take me to the Fomor's so I can get some advice and the healing required later today." The room stayed silent, a lot of the people there not expecting that news in the slightest. She looked to her friends that were standing around the edges of the room, seeing their concerned smiles as they waited to get opinions from the advisors.

"You are to stay here." A unmistakeable deep voice said, belonging to Morrigan's father. "You returning to that place is out of the question."

"Father, you can't ju---"

"Morrigan, this is the one time I am putting my foot down on this. I always trusted you on your decisions with the curse but you are to stay here."

"I think your father is right, Morrigan." One of the council members added. "After all, no one really knows what is going to happen now."

"But I've visited Fomor's in the mainland, they said I have an important role to play in this fight. This could be what they were talking about!"

"Varney and Weylyn will take you to the Fomor's, like you planned but you will only be leaving if our healers deem you healthy enough. Is that understood." Her father looked like he was about to shed a tear he was so adamant about this decision. Morrigan knew she had no chance in getting what she wanted this time.

"As you wish." She gave in, looking out of the corner of her eye to see the sun finally making its way over the wall. "But do you approve soldiers returning for the next two months? That is the main reason I am here."

"Yes, it only seems fair and your conditions are ideal." The youngest council member said, having a smile on his face.

"Okay, well, if I may be excused along with Varney and Weylyn, we need to get going." Morrigan said politely, looking over to her friends as they started walking towards her. The three saluted, turning on their heels then walked out the door, Morrigan moving her hair out of her face as she welcomed the feeling of the warm morning sun on her skin. "Well, that went a lot smoother than I was expecting." She commented, walking towards the stable so the three of them could get their horses.