Chapter 15: Rod Reiss

The morning sun came much too early for Levi's liking. His tossing and turning through the night made it almost impossible for him to get sleep, at most he got an hour. Today was the day: the day that humanity would decide if they had a chance in this fight against the Titans. Standing on the Wall of Ovurd District, looking out seeing the steam from Rod Reiss' Titan getting closer and closer. It was strange for Levi, having his mind constantly wandering to something other than the current situation at that moment. He didn't realize it, but that same reason was why he didn't get enough sleep in the time allotted to him. Before moving to the Wall he stopped by Morrigan's infirmary room, which so happened to be shared with Hanji.

"I don't know if she's getting worse or that she is just in such a bad state that it's too hard to watch." Hanji had said from the bed beside Morrigan's seemingly lifeless body. The only indications that she was still alive were the random groans and screams from the pain she was feeling.

"Have the medics given up on her?" Levi had asked, touching the icy cold hand that was as white as the shirt he was wearing.

"It seems like they are going to decide later today how long they are going to give her to wake up or, at least, show signs that she is healing." Hanji knew that this wouldn't be easy for anyone. Everyone in her squad, squad Levi and even Erwin had warmed up to the red head over the past three months. She knew, however, that Levi was not going to be able to take the news well if it came to the unwanted decision that was pending in people's minds. "I'll make sure to keep an eye on her. I'll come up with something to help her."

Levi couldn't help but feel, for once in a very long time, hope spurring through his heart. He took a knee and wiped away hair from Morrigan's face, looking at the agonized expression. "Don't you die on me you brat."

"Historia!?" A voice came into Levi's thoughts thinking back about an hour ago, looking to see his squad shocked to see the small blonde on the Wall.

"Oi, Historia! You can't join in this battle. You've been ordered to stay in a standby position in a safe location, haven't you?" Levi asked, making sure he had heard the orders that Erwin set clearly. The girl gave him a stern expression, showing that she wasn't going to move an inch easily. "What do to intend to do?"

"I have come to settle my own destiny." She said plainly, taking Levi back a bit. "To run or to fight, you were the one that told me to chose, Levi Heichou."

Levi didn't know what to do. The situation had clearly changed but for some reason Historia hadn't seen that. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the Titan about a mile out. "Ah...shit...there's no time."

"FIRE!" Someone yelled and immediately cannons started to sound, trying to hit the mark of the nape of the neck. For five straight minutes the cannons went flying and when the smoke was making it too difficult to see they stopped. Everyone waited quietly to see what was going to happen since the time had stopped moving. The army waited hopefully, since the smoke was disappearing and the Titan still didn't continue to move. But suddenly the loud roar echoed through the field and a large hand appeared from the smoke, showing that it was continuing to drag itself toward the wall. The ground cannons began to fire, but The Scouting Legion knew that they weren't going to do much if the first wave of cannons did nothing. Erwin and Levi started walking towards the group that was making the explosive. Even though Levi was prepared for whatever was going happen, but he couldn't keep his mind off of Morrigan's condition.

"Erwin, I brought it!" An annoying voice yelled. Hanji? "It's all the gunpowder I could get, ropes and a net. We just have to put it together." From what it looked like, Hanji and her squad had managed to create some new type of weapons using the same mechanics as the 3DMG, having air canisters attached to them. "So, how's the shelling going?"