Prologue

----------------------------

Sky City Elementary, 2008, 10:15 a.m.

On a radiant, sun-kissed day, the school playground buzzed with youthful laughter and exuberance. Amid the lively group of children, an eight-year-old boy, his complexion resembling rich chocolate, dashed across the field. His short twists danced with every step, and he held a superhero action figure. 

"Whoosh!" The boy cheered, "The likes of you can never defeat Super Ryan. BOOOM! "

As the words left the boy's mouth, his best friend, Alex, rushed over with his toy in hand, making accompanying sound effects. The two of them placed their action figures on the ground, positioning for an epic showdown.

"Prepare to face my diabolical powers, Super Ryan!" Alex laughed while pushing up his round green glasses, "Pew-pew-pew! I'll blast you with my laser beams! Zzzap! Zzzap!"

"Hah! I'll dodge your lasers with lightning speed! Whoosh!" 

BAM!

A soccer ball came hurtling out of nowhere and crashed into Ryan's hands. The impact sent his action figure soaring before dramatically landing in the grass. Ryan winced, feeling the sting from the collision, and quickly shook off the discomfort.

"Oh, shoot! " Max, Ryan's twin, yelled as he dashed over, "My bad bro. "

"It's... okay. " Ryan sighed as he walked over to his toy. 

But before Ryan could retrieve it, it was snatched from the ground. Ryan slowly looked up, his expression dropping as he saw the boy in front of him, his pale skin seeming to glow with mischief, and his fingers running tauntingly through his wavy dark hair.

"Prince, give it back!" Ryan tried to snatch it but Prince pushed him to the ground.

"What if I don't want to? " Prince laughed, "I think I like my new toy."

" It's not yours!-"

"I wonder what'll happen if I turn the legs this way- " Prince grinned, twisting the limbs until they snapped, " Oops. "

" Hey! " Ryan cried out as Prince tossed the toy on the ground.

"Lame. It already broke so easily. " Prince pouted as he walked off.

" Why...would he do that? " Ryan sniffled, picking up his broken action figure.

" Life is confusing. " Alex sighed, walking next to his friend.

" Alex. We're eight; what do we know about life? "

" You're right. "

" Uh..well. I'm going back to play soccer. Sorry about your toy, bro. " Max ran past the boys and said, " Hey Prince! "

" Why is your brother even friends with him? " Alex questioned.

"You're right. Life is confusing. " 

----------------------------

Sky City Elementary, The Cafeteria 12:00 p.m.

RING!

As the bell rang, some children spilled out onto the schoolyard, while others like  Ryan and his cousin Jennifer, sat in the cafeteria for lunch. Jennifer, dark-skinned with square-rimmed glasses and a puff of curly hair, couldn't resist rolling her eyes as she heard Ryan continue to whine about earlier.

 "Ryan, you can't keep letting Prince bully you. " She sighed, " You gotta stand up for yourself at times. And honestly, I'm tired of listening to you cry about your doll."