Genesis

------------------------

Hours Later, Sky City General Hospital

" CLEAR! "

ZAP!

The hospital room filled with the defibrillator's hum and crackle, and Ryan's battered body was lifted off the bed with each jolt. 

" CLEAR! "

ZAP!

Ryan's consciousness exploded back into reality as he jolted awake, his body writhing and convulsing on the hospital bed. The furious pounding of his heart now matched the rhythmic beat of the defibrillator. His skin seemed to glow an intense neon blue, highlighting his veins like bright, pulsing arteries. The hospital lights flickered and shook as he thrashed on the bed, every muscle in his body contracting in agony. 

As the doctors worked feverishly to save Ryan's life, the family outside the operating room waited in agonizing silence. Ava nervously tugged at her locs, the stress etched on her face, evident in the dark circles under her eyes. Adam, his father, was a blur of motion, pacing back and forth, unable to find any solace in stillness. Max and Jennifer sat nearby, their faces drawn with worry, their legs tapping nervously in anticipation.

Days turned into nights, and nights turned into days, but Ryan remained in turmoil. The machines monitoring his vital signs would suddenly flatline, causing the doctors to scramble to bring him back. The family's hope was fading with each passing moment.

Thankfully, today that would all change. Ryan's eyes shot open with a sudden jolt, his body heaving with powerful, ragged coughs. Nurses and doctors scrambled to his side, their faces etched with concern as Ryan struggled for air, his chest rising and falling with great heaving breaths.

The indistinct shapes around him came into focus, resolving the worried faces of his loved ones. Ava stepped forward and hugged him tightly, tears streaming down her face as she held him close.

" Ryan!  Oh my god, you're okay! You're okay! " Ava gripped him as if this embrace would be their last.

"Mom? " Ryan winced in pain, " Where...am I? "

" It's okay. It's okay. " Ava tightened the warm embrace, " You're safe now. "

"Wait....what about Emma? " Ryan watched everyone's faces drop.

"She, uh, hasn't woken up yet. It's probably unlikely she'll..." Jennifer lowered her head.

" I think he get's it. " Adam put his hand on his niece's shoulder.

" I'm sorry. " Ryan gripped the sides of his mother's shirt," I tried to be like you but...I couldn't save them...there was nothing I could do..."

" But you did what you could, and I'm so proud of you. "

------------------------

One month later, Phoenix High.

Alex and Ryan walked through the crowded hallways. Alex couldn't ignore the dullness of Ryan's eyes; it was as if he could see straight through his friend to the emptiness within. 

"So...last night taught me something. We have got to stop throwing away those ranked matches. " Alex chuckled.

"Yeah. " Ryan mumbled.

"Okay. " Alex sighed, " I thought you were just dry last night because you were tired, but- "

"I'm fine. " Ryan clenched his fists, " Just thinking. "

"About? "

" Doesn't matter. " Ryan turned his gaze to the floor, images of the massacre replaying like a broken record.