The Day Everything Changed PT.2

------------------------

BOOM.

"Shit, shit, shit! " Ryan yelled as he carried Emma in his arms through the devasted hallways, clouded in smoke and the walls slick with blood.

Flames consumed every corner they tried to turn, canceling any means of escape. Ryan's heartbeat felt as if with every thump, his body shook. His chest heaved with every breath, the weight of the situation pressing down on him like a suffocating blanket.

"Watch out! " Emma cried, seeing a beam of light rush toward them.

BOOM!

The blast knocked Ryan off his feet, sending them careening through the glass of another lab. Groaning, Ryan struggled to get up, his head spinning from the impact. Through the haze of smoke, he saw Emma lying motionless, blood leaking from her head.

"No!" He could barely shout, as his gaze darted across the room.

Through the swirling smoke, he caught a glimpse of the silhouette, dark and foreboding. Acting fast, Ryan scrambled to his feet, his lab coat torn and tattered, falling off his shoulders. His dreads fell in front of his face, making it difficult to see even in the cloud of smoke.

Quickly, he looked around the room, his gaze landing on a nearby rack of robotic arms and features. Without hesitation, he picked up an arm, readying himself to charge back into the fray. The figure huffed, its eyes glowing with crimson malice, and Ryan felt fear shake his core. In a blink, the figure swiped its hand to the left, and with a menacing hiss, a large metallic sword materialized out of thin air, the swipe slashing through the ground.

WHOOSH!

Before Ryan could fully react, the figure appeared in front of him, and through the swirling smoke, Ryan could finally make out its face.

Origin.

With his burning blade raised above his head, Origin stared into Ryan's soul with a cold glare. In a split second, Origin had already brought down the slash, but Ryan managed to dodge to the left just in time! The blade grazed his cheek, leaving a deep gash as Ryan stumbled backward.

With a swift motion, Ryan swung the robotic arm at Origin, but Origin blocked it effortlessly without even looking at him. The arm shattered into metallic pieces on impact, leaving Ryan defenseless.

"Oh..." Ryan whimpered as Origin slowly got up, " I'm sorry..."

Ryan grimaced, tears staining his eyes, feeling as if his soul was about to leave him. He could hear the rhythmic beating of Origin's robotic core, a sound that sent shivers down his spine. But just as all hope seemed lost, Emma rushed in from the side, holding a loose cable. With a determined cry, she stabbed it into Origin's back. A powerful surge of electrical current ran through him, causing Origin to cry out in pain!

Seizing the opportunity, Emma grabbed Ryan's hand, and without hesitation, they sprinted out of the room, leaving the chaos behind them. Angrily, Origin smashed his hands into the ground, and the ground roared ferociously as an onslaught of dust blew the teenagers into another room. Emma felt her muscles ache, dragging Ryan into a nearby storage closet.

Their breaths became interlocked, sweat and blood dripping from their foreheads onto one another. She could feel the aggressive beating of his heart against her chest, and the sight of his trembling palms made her eyes soften. 

" It's..okay...it's okay. " She whispered, her fingers rubbing against his thumbs.

" I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. " His words played like a broken record,"I couldn't...save them. I couldn't save anyone."