43; Dialogue Prompts (Part 2)

A/N: JESUS CHRIST THIS TOOK WAY LONGER THAN IT SHOULD'VE?! I'M SO SORRY HOLY CRAP ;-; Anyway, here's the highly requested part 2! I wrote two endings to make all of you happy :-) As always, have a great day! x

* . ⋆・゚。 . ・゚˚ . · · ✧

"I can't."
Part 2 of where Mark cheats
-----

You opened the front door to see Mark, which slightly startled you for a moment because you were not expecting your ex-boyfriend to appear at the doorstep of your best friend's house.

Unlike the romance novels you read in your spare time, he did not look messy nor exhausted; instead, he stood straightly with clean hair and the scent of newly washed clothes. Although he seemed to be somewhat confident, you knew him better than that. His fingers trembled slightly - and you could see the faint traces of guilt in his eyes and the area beneath it. A stranger would obviously not be able to notice such details nor why it happens, but you would. You've dated Mark for a few years; and all his habits and quirks were still somewhat fresh in your mind, seeing as the break-up only happened 2 months ago.

"Oh," You said, before feeling the initial surprise dissipate into bitterness. "Hello, Mark."

He swallowed, offering you a small smile. "Um, hi, Y/N."

Your pursed your lips, looking at him monotonously before giving him a sarcastic grin. "So,"

"What brings you here, babe?"

It was his turn to raise his eyebrows in surprise. You noticed how his shoulders slumped slightly and how he fought the urge to avert his eyes.

"And I thought I was the quiet one." You continued after a few minutes of no response, and your mouth fell to a firm line. You repeated your question. "What are you doing here?"

Finally, he seemed to have found his voice, and you made sure to water down the venom in your words.

"I-I love you, Y/N." Was the first thing he said.

Your eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"I mean it, Y/N. I don't love her- not one bit. I love you, and I hate that it meant losing you just to see how much I need you. I'm so, so, sorry."

The strong mask he was wearing began to crumble. His face was a mixture of desperation and worry - worried that you wouldn't forgive him and that he really did lose the best thing he's ever had as he felt you slipping through his fingertips more and more in every passing minute.

Sighing, you looked towards the side for a brief moment.

The sun gazed over the front lawn, shining through the sprinklers, creating a small rainbow. Birds chirped as they flew about, enjoying the clear skies. It was a beautiful day, really, but to Mark, all he saw were rainclouds.

"Mark," You started, looking into his eyes.

He bit his lip from seeing your blank expression, your once emotive face not showing a hint of your decision. He braced himself, and he wanting to look away from your cold stare, but he swallowed thickly and nodded ever so slightly.

"I can't."

He froze.

You licked your lips, eyes flickering to anywhere but his.