Chapter eighteen: Not even a goodbye

Seven leaned against a wall Jorge's dog tags in his hand. The room was dark and a big window showing the falling planet. Kat was working on a radio slightly frustrated. Jun was looking out the window in some binoculars. Carter was walking back and forth trying to think o Noble teams next move. Emile sat in a corner sharpening his Kukuri knife slowly. Hunt was cleaning off his armour full of water and glass still. West was smoking a cigar beside Jun looking out the window slightly sad seeing the city burning. Amber was walking beside Carter trying to reassure him to sit down. Seven looked over to Emile and offered him Jorge's dog tags, he knew both of them were close friends who joked around a lot. Emile shook his head along with his knife no," he gave 'em to you keep them" Emile said coldly. Seven tightened his hands around the tags. Kat tried getting the shrapnel out of the com eagerly and frustrated. Seven's eyes were starting to flicker on and off deeply. He was tired, he had fought hard all day yesterday and all night tonight along with having fallen through the atmosphere. West wasn't tired one bit was because of the cigarettes that were keeping him awake. Amber, however, like Seven was exhausted and almost fell down. Carter quickly caught her right before she fell and sat her down gently against a desk. All Seven could hear was mumbling that slightly got more aggressive at one point. Then it hit Seven like a train. The ground was slightly starting to shake and Kat stud up her helmet in one hand and a device in the other," Kat what's going on !" Carter ordered putting away the com. Kat looked up to him, "It's a nuclear anomaly, 200 gammas and close !" Kat yelled. Carter slightly worried," how close" is all he could finish as a glancing beam hit right beside the building. Kat and Carter fell down and Emile slightly fell back. Seven slightly knelt down helping Kat up to the three elevators. As all of Noble got into the elevators. Kat looked over at Seven and started putting her helmet on," you're first glassing...me too" she knew Seven had never seen a flack be only the aftermath of one. Seven for some reason felt the urge to kiss Kat, even if he had to take off his helmet to do it. As Seven was just about to pull off his helmet Carters voice came across the com making Seven stop and groan slightly."All right Noble team we got the next mission we need to go back to ONI sword base.." Carter explained. Jun turned to Carter" but the covenant own it now!" Jun said confused to why they were going there. Carters elevator and West's elevator where the first to hit as the run across the room into a bunker. Kat rolled her eyes under her helmet as the doors to their elevator opened, "when does colonial holland.." Seven could hear the sound of a phantom beside them and the breathing of a sniper. Seven wasn't going to let another Spartan die. Kat felt a shove as she fell to the ground. Seven felt a spike of pain go through his chest. Kat turned around only to see Seven on the floor in a pool of his own blood. The rest of Noble team fired at the phantom trying to kill the sniper. Kat fired her magnum into the phantom trying to hit the shooter. The top pulled back as the last bullet left the gun. Carter looked down and commanded, "get him inside now !" Kat grabbed Seven's body and pulled it inside the bunker. The bunker was dark and cold. Kat was Linley down holding Seven's body up trying to stop the bleeding with her hands. Kat turned to Hunt and yelled "do something" Hunt didn't have his equipment with him and even if he did there was nothing to do other then to have hope. Seven's heartbeat was slowing down as his vision started to get more and more blurry. Kat felt Seven moves. She felt Seven's hand hold hers letting something go. She held onto his hand tightly, "don't die on me..." She whispered to him. Seven with his last strength moved his head up to hers their helmets meeting, "I... Only regret one thing..... Not... Having more... Time... With....you..." Kat was slightly surprised and heartbroken. The minutes turned into hours. As the Spartans emerged from the bunker. Carter light up a blue flare as the stepped out at the sight of the burning planet. Kat held Seven's body close to her waiting for the pelican to arrive and pick them up.