Chapter twenty: Walking with a Ghost

Seven sat in the Pelican his hand over Kat's as they soared through the evening sky. West had another one of his cigars in his mouth and his hand was playing with the lighter. Hunt checked over his medical supplies using the light from West's flickering lighter. Carter sat beside Amber checking over her helmet with her. "Uhm... So I could just take any AI with the same interface as DOT and I could plug it into my helmet ?" Amber asked quietly to Carter. Carter nods his helmet covering his emotions. "Yea pretty much... " Carter replied dusting off a part of Ambers helmet where a lot of dirt had accumulated. "What's this ?" Carter asked pointing to the design on Ambers helmet. "Oh... Well that was when I was in training I had a close group of friends so we all got the same design on our helmet... " Amber explained dusting it off more. "And why'd you guys pick a fox ?" Carter looked closer at the helmet. Amber smiles slightly," It's a long story maybe for another time" she smiles taking back her helmet and putting it on. Emile takes a look at his knife one last time making sure it was sharp."All right.... Who else thinks it's awkward that Seven is still alive ?" Emile asked trying to break the silence. Everyone nodded even Seven who knew the reason he was still alive. The Pelican started to come to a decent and Seven looked at Kat, "Don't get shot again Seven I don't want to have to save you " Kat joked around trying to make light of a grim situation. Seven nodded knowing that he was walking on a thin line that was getting thinner with each step. West put out his cigar by throwing it on the floor and smothering it,"All right Noble team we're here to destroy ONI sword base's data. Pretty simple isn't it... There is only one catch the Covenant have the place locked down and aren't gonna let us through the front door... So" Carter's mission brief was interrupted by the rocking and loud explosion of the left wing. "Crap we've been hit... Everyone holds on this is gonna be a bumpy ride..." West quickly got up and steadied himself grabbing a jetpack on the side of the wall. " West what the hell are you doing ?" Carter yelled at him confused. West chuckled "Don't worry Captain I know what I'm doing " West jumped off leaving a trail of smoke behind him. Seven held tightly onto the sidebars that were attached to each side of his chair in case of an emergency. Amber felt a quick explosion beside her then nothing, her heart pounded heart letting her know she wasn't dead. Amber left her eyes closed tightly not wanting to see what had become of her teammates and pilot. The sound of a Magnum going off in the distance was enough to open her eyes to the burning plants and recked Pelican. The pelican took a rough crash splitting it into two pieces. The front was mostly crumpled at the front and the middle had stayed attached to the front. Carter had been nocked out and so was Jun and Emile. The others must have been at the back part of the Pelican in the crash. A rustling noise from next to amber made her jump slightly. Her hands hovered over her pistol. A tall dark scaly creature hovered over her on a ledge. His hateful eyes scanned the area spotting the downed spartan. His hand whipped out slightly activating his energy sword. Amber lined up the shot knowing the pistol wasn't powerful enough to kill him in one shot but her trigger finger was faster than the elites movement. As the elite jumped down growling silently as he approached the vulnerable Spartan. As Amber pulled the trigger of her pistol the gun cocked making a loud clink sound. The elite turned around his energy sword pointed towards her now. " Awh... Shit" She cursed under her breath. As the elite approached she pulled out her knife swiftly and smoothly. The elite slashed down with a hard blow. Amber shifted to the side towards the elite giving her the opportunity to stab at the grizzled elite. The elite quickly smacked her over the head knocking her down, her knife still tightly in her hand. She wasn't willing to give up yet, "so you wanna fight dirty " Amber exclaimed standing up her visor slightly cracked. The elite growled out something in his native language. The slash of his energy sword made a swooshing sound. Amber was swift and avoid most of the elites attacks a few barely scrapping her armour. Amber waited for the right opportunity to reveal themselves. Amber didn't realize that her constant shifting was putting herself off balance, as she trusted her knife towards the elite's chest she was to slow and the elite elbowed her in the face destroying the visor of her helmet. The glass shattered into her face scratching at her face like sand. She quickly pulled off her helmet her face covered in her own blood. The elite walked up cockily his energy sword lusting for blood. Amber cleared her eyes from her blood luckily no glass had gotten in. Her eyes were met with the hand of the elite gripping her throat tightly. Amber struggled in the elite's grip as she was fighting to breathe. The elite dramatically pulled up his sword and moved it towards her chest. Amber grabbed her grenade pulling the pin of it and slowly releasing the trigger. As the elite's energy sword closed up on her chest she quickly punched his helmet breaking his mouth guard. Her hand quickly let go of the grenade making the elite drop her in panic. Before the elite could spit out the grenade the final second of the grenades timer went out. The head of the elite blew up into both a gory and fiery explosion. Amber panted heavily as she helps her chest trying to calm herself down. her lungs once ore filled up with air and her heartbeat started to slow. She moved her hand over her now scared face wiping away the blood that clouded her vision.

The sound of the shells hitting the floor was like a hail hitting the windshield of a car. Seven perched his foot over the edge of a rock squeezing down integrity trigger of his assault rifle. Ten assault rifle clips surround the crash area of the backside of the pelican. The trustees were causing a huge fire around him and Kat. Kat fired off a few rounds from a DMR she had picked up.

Plasma shots hit the wreckage causing the unstable stabilizers to explode. Seven hit the ground hard. His helmet's visor displayed his shields at critical levels. As the elites approached near they're position another loud explosion blew up right I front of Seven's face. Luckily it was far enough he didn't get hurt and the elites obliterated. The dust rose into the air giving Kat and Seven enough time to run out of ruins of the pelican.

West sat on a pile of the dead covenant a cigar in his mouth and a lighter in the other. His helmet resting again his bloodied chest. He had on major needle rifle shot in his upper right torso. The pile of convenient he sat on was just in front of the ONI sword base door. As the rest of Noble team made they're way to the entrance stopping upon their arrival. A silence fell over the seven Spartans as they looked upon the fallen Spartan. A pool of blood surrounded an orange armoured spartan leaned against a wall. Two clips of his pistol laid beside him with the empty shells beside him. His chest piece had been burnt multiple times and two needles stuck out from his lower torso. His helmet hung low splattered with his own blood. around him laid two Elites and a Brute. Carter kneeled down beside their former teammate to be greeted with a soft and terrible whisper. "I...Tried to hold out as.....long as I can..... "Hunts whisper was hard to comprehend as it was covered up by coughing and blood spitting. Carter laid a hand on Hunt's shoulder, "You did good Hunt... You made Noble team proud.." Carter moved his hand over Hunt's neck grabbing his dog tags. Hunt smiled softly"Than.....ssi....r" His head fell down low and the last of his life leaked out in a red liquid from his wounds. Carter stud up and gripped his dog tags tightly. "Let's make these bastard's pay, " West said jumping down from the pile of corpse he sat on. He threw his cigar to the floor crushing it under his angered foot. Carter nodded softly gesturing Kat to hack into the lock keeping the doors in front of them closed. The door opened up to what looked like the jaws of hell. Seven checked his assault rifle mags"Everyone ready to walk into hell? " Emile asked pumping his shotgun. Amber gritted her teeth slowly wanting to get back at the covenant for what they did. All the seven spartan's needed to do was look at each other to know what each other was thinking. Seven took the first step forward into the hellish building.