Chapter 9

Lauren's POV

I was in a state of shock for the whole weekend and most of the school week after what happened at the track. I couldn't believe I just kept up that stupid front and acted like I hated her even when she confronted me. Heck, the confrontation was a surprise on its own. I didn't think someone like Charlie who was popular and had tons of friends would care if I was less than friendly to her. I mean, I'm just another random girl right? Ugh what am I even saying? Of course I'm not, I'm a Cimorelli. I can't exactly do much unnoticed. 

But not only did she have a go at me but her reaction after I was a total idiot and said we should stay away from each other was mental. She looked like I just sucked all the life out of her, like a... what are those things called again? Oh yeah, dementors. 

She managed to get her anger back though and snapped at me before running off. I was walking across the grass back towards the cheerleaders and I just watched her ignore Stacey (which I enjoyed) and then run... and run... and run. I was actually really worried, she was going to pass out if she kept going like that. I tried calling out to her but my voice just got lost in the wind. Her dad was trying to get her to stop and eventually he just had to take her out. I couldn't see very well from where I was standing with the other girls, but he was cradling her in his arms. Was she crying? Why was she acting like this? This can't be because of what just happened, I'd thought. 

--------------------

Now it was Wednesday lunch, and things had progressed for the worse with me and Charlie. At least she used to look at me, now she did not even glance my way and oh my gosh it hurt so bad. This whole plan to keep her at a distance to overcome my stupid feelings had been extremely unsuccessful. In fact, my feelings had just gotten so much stronger but now she also hated me, so I really messed up this time. How can I have ever thought this would work?!

"Hey, what's up? You look like you're about to just die," I heard Dani's voice and looked up. She was walking over to my table with her lunch. I'd got there early so I was sitting alone for now.

I grunted, "I feel like I am."

"Why what's up?" She asked, sitting opposite me.

I sighed deeply, "Dan, I really messed up."

"Oh geez, what did you do this time?"

"What do you mean this time?" I said indignantly and frowned at her,  she just smirked back.

"Lauren, you always do stupid things that you think are good ideas and they always backfire," she said matter or factly whilst stabbing at her food and not looking at me.

"Yeah well, I definitely did a stupid thing. I made someone hate me but all I want is for them to... uh... be friends with me!" I groaned and put my head in my hands. That wasn't really what I wanted her to be. 

"Hey, it's probably not as bad as you think. And c'mon, let's be realistic here... it's not like anyone's actually gonna hate you, you're a Cimorelli."

I opened my mouth to tell her she was wrong but a group of boys slid onto the bench next to us, interrupting our conversation. I gave her a look that said this conversation wasn't over and she nodded. I felt an arm around my shoulder and glanced to my left and saw Jason grinning at me. Oh shit.

"Hey babe, how's it going?" He asked me. Dani choked, she knew I hated it when random boys called me babe.

I fidgeted awkwardly, "look Jason, about Saturday night, I-" I started to say. I'd managed to avoid him all week so far but I guess this encounter was inevitable.

"Woah, hey don't apologise! I wanted it to happen too," he winked at me, "so I booked a table for us for tomorrow night at the Italian in town, I'll pick you up at 7?"