Phobia || 19

I kept looking into his eyes waiting for an answer, but he didn't give me one. He just sat there looking behind me like a deer caught in headlights.

"Jake?" I ask again but he just shakes his head and squints his eyes a few times.

"Uh, yeah?"

"You do?" I ask, feeling my heart begin to beat faster in my chest.

"Wait... What? I do what?" He asks me shaking his head again.

"Like me?"

"Of course!" He says angrily, "I've wanted to be friends for a while but you wouldn't—"

"Good." I sigh, putting a hand to my forehead in relief. I'm glad it's just as friends.

"Yeah." He chuckles softly.

"Hey, let's go for a swim." I motion toward the beach down below the cliff.

"Uh... Um... I don't think... I don't want to go swimming..." He says looking down at his hands.

"Why not?" I ask him, eyeing him carefully. He had fun the last time. I don't really understand how anything has changed from then till now.

"Really, there's uh," he looks down at his 'watch' "Wow look at—"

"Whoa whoa whoa, you're not pulling that stunt on me now. You don't even have a watch. So shut up and tell me." He looks down at his wrist again until I put my hand on his cheek and push his head so he's facing me, "don't be scared to tell me." I say inching my body closer to him.

He inches closer to me too so now our hips are touching. "But... It doesn't make sense." He says shaking his head and looking down at the ground and back up to me.

"Jake, we don't make sense." I chuckle, "so anything you're about to tell me will not make me think of you any differently... Not that it could be much worse than it has before." I rest my hand on his knee, bringing my face closer to his breathing heavily.

"But—"

"Jake." I shush putting my index finger over his lips.

He starts bringing his head closer to mine, I stay there letting him inch closer, but at the last second I move my head and get up off the ground. "You know what, don't tell me then." I huff crossing my arms over my chest.

"You don't understand!" He says innocently.

"Oh, I understand perfectly." I turn away from him sliding off my cover up so that it reveals my bikini, "now, I'm going swimming." I feel a pair of eyes burning into my back so I turn around quickly and notice that he's up and off the ground staring at me, "so, are you coming swimming?" I ask.

"Uh-uh-uh..." He stutters at a loss for words.

"English?" I ask joking around and then I jump off the cliff into the water below, which isn't high enough that it hurts, it's a long trek  back up but it doesn't hurt on the way down.

I hear a quiet shout from up above as I'm descending into the water below. But once I hit the water the sound is now gone and its completely silent. Suddenly I feel a movement of water beside me and I rush up quickly.

"You good?" Jake asks me as I reach the top of the water.

"Yeah, I thought you didn't want to go swimming?" I ask raising an eyebrow at him.

"I thought you might've been in trouble..." He trails off, it's dark so I can't tell but I assume he's blushing.

"Hm, so you thought since I was 'in trouble' from jumping off a cliff it would be a good idea for you to jump off that cliff as well? I see that was well thought through."