Chapter 1.

"Garret, could you please come to the front office? There's someone here that would like to meet you." I heard Mrs. Gwen say. I sighed and looked up at her, she gestured for me with her hand to follow her. I slowly got up and stuffed my hands into my pockets, then followed her down the hallway. When we came to her door, she stopped and put her hand on my shoulder. "Don't get down on yourself, maybe this time it will work out?" She said sweetly.

"That's what you said the last fourteen times," I said sadly.

"You know what they say, 15th time’s the charm."

"I'm pretty sure it's the 3rd Mrs. Gwen." I gave her a sad smile.

"These are nice people, I'm positive you will like them,” she said cupping my cheek. "Now, I don't want to see you back here again!" She said kindly, knowing I knew she meant that she hoped these people will want to keep me.

"Same here Mrs. Gwen."

"Now go on and get in there." She patted my back, then opened the door.

I walked inside the room and saw a couple sitting in the chairs across from Ms. Shaw, who's the head of the orphanage. She looked over at me when I entered the room and smiled at me, then patted the seat next to her. The couple looked over at me with bright smiles and I gave them a nod as I took them in. The wife had a small frame, soft features and kind eyes, while the man was practically twice her size. He had a taller, more built frame and sharp features, which was opposite of his wife's, but his eyes were the exception as they're kind like hers.

I felt my nerves bubble inside me as I approached because I felt like I needed to make an impression, I wanted them to like me. Forcing myself to calm down as I made my way to take a seat,  I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants and tried to ignore my heart that was starting to pound a little faster. No matter how many times I went through this, I always have the same feelings whenever I meet the parent or couple that want's to adopt me, it never changes. 

I sat down and across from the couple that I'd been called up to the front to meet. The man stood up, followed by the woman, they both extended their hands to me. The man’s hand was rough and calloused, making me think he did a job that required manual labor, unlike the woman’s hand which was soft and gentle, and when she shook my hand, a warm, semi-foreign felling spread through me.

"It's nice to meet you Garret, we've been hearing a lot of great things about you," the woman said with a kind smile on her face.

"So, I'll leave Garret with you for a bit with Mr. and Mrs. Sethos." Mrs. Shaw said, then stood up and left the room.

"So Garret, I heard you are a fan of Rugby," Mr. Sethos addressed with a smile.

"Yes sir," I said, nodding my head. 

"Oh non of that Sir business, call me Rob." I smile and give him a slight nod. "So you're 14, right Garret?"

"Yes sir,"

"And we've heard that you've been in and out of the foster care system for four years now?" I nod again. "Well that's changing. Starting from right now, you are going to be in our care," Mrs. Sethos says smiling at me.

"Really?" I asked as I looked them, the feeling of doubt made it’s way through me and nagged at my thoughts. Everyone I have been with in the past has sent be back because of one reason or another. one of them being that kids picked on me a lot because my parents died, so I tended to get into a lot of fights.

"Yes, really. We have been wanting to adopt a younger son and we think you're the perfect fit to our family." Mrs. Sethos said, A sure smile on his face. "We have read all about you, and from just meeting you right now, I can definitely say that we like you already.”