Chapter 25.

I looked at Shane for a moment, relief flowing though me, though I couldn't move. I couldn't make my feet un-cement themselves from the ground. She noticed this and her smile started to drop from her face, concerning etched itself in it's place.

"What's wrong?" She asked confused, "Keeley's fine, and awake!"

"I know...." I whispered, my heart heavy. "I just-she won't." I sighed, squeezing my eyes shut tight. "I can't go in there."

"Why not? What's wrong?" she glanced towards Alex for help, not making sense of the words that had left my mouth. I rubbed my hands down my face and plopped back down into the chair, my chest and head hurting. "Garret, You know she's going to want to see you."

"Taylor doesn't." 

"Who?" Alex asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"Keeley's mom, she doesn't want me going into her room. She doesn't want me around her daughter." 

"What?" Shane practically shouted in outrage, the sound almost loud enough to make me cringe. "That's absurd! I know Keeley will definitely want to see you, no matter what her mom says."

"That's also another problem. I don't want that to happen, I don't need her mad at her mom for anything. Her mom should have say on this, and I respect her choice, even if I do think it's-" 

"Harsh, mean, stupid, inconsiderate, controlling-" Shane interrupted. 

"Shane," I shook my head, my voice barely came out but she heard it and stopped her rant. "I just... I don't want to disrespect her." 

She looked down at me silently, not even blinking and not looking away, just focused on me. I didn't feel comfortable with the look she was giving me, but I stayed in place, not giving in. Finally she sighed and shook her head, mumbled something under hear breath and then stalked out of the cafeteria.

I hadn't caught what she said, but as I glanced at Alex I could tell he caught at least some of it. Form the look on his face, I wouldn't way it was good either. He started to walk off after her without saying a word and I knew I should get up too. 

I had spoken the truth, I wouldn't go see Keeley and disrespect her mom, but that didn't mean I needed someone else to do something on my behalf to get me what I wanted... No, what I needed.  I didn't just want to see Keeley, I needed to see her, with my own eyes to be able and know she's okay. As I followed Alex around the corner, I couldn't help but hist through my teeth slightly from the pain in my ribs. The medicine the doctor had given me wasn't supposed to wear off for another hour, but I knew that the harsh movements of my rapid pace were what was causing it.

I stopped for a minute and leaned against the hallway with my arms wrapped around my chest, hoping that Alex would be able to stop her so she wouldn't do something she would regret. Keeley was her best friend, and she grew up knowing Ms. Taylor, she doesn't need to be on her bad side, or need any riff between them on my behalf. 

As I stood there, for some reason, I felt sweat beading on my forehead and my face felt flush. It was then that the doctors words rang through my head.

'No running for at least a month, any harsh movements and jolts could not only hurt your ribs, but re-break some of them. For this first week alone, I suggest bed rest unless you have to get up, and nothing more than a light, slow paced walk. understand?' 

I, of course, nodded my head and promised him I would be careful, though I don't think fast walking and trying to walk up a flight of stairs after walking all the way to the cafeteria would be considered a 'light walk'.