Chapter 14.

“What happened?” Keeley asked from beside me. I only just realized I stopped when she had spoken, bringing me out of my thoughts.

“They we’re drunk... nothing good came of it, but at least I was able to stop him.” I whispered. “Then I promised to help her, to get her away from Jason, the next time he left the house.”

****

I promised to help her, and thats what I planned to do. I had found Dakota’s phone on the dresser when I helped her last night, I took it and decided that when I could, I would see if there was someone I could call, the person who she had said was special to her like family, like Lacy was to me, or maybe even a boyfriend, someone who knew she shouldn’t be here right now and is probably searching for her. I knew there was definitely someone, especially since Jason just took her. 

I knew she would need to be ready too, so I grabbed her boots that I had seen laying on the ground and put them in the bathroom with a sticky note, telling her to put them on. I sighed as I stood up, still hoping that this would work.

I tried talking to Nate this morning when he had coherent thoughts, though I couldn’t get to him before Jason and Dakota came out of their room. Dakota looked normal, but I could see it in her eye’s that she was being cautious. His eye’s seemed a little surprised when he saw them, but then he quickly put a smirk in his face and acted causal, which seems strange.

“Well, well, if it isn’t the dog himself,” Nate greeted Jason, “and his little kitten.” I looked at him strangely for a second, then my eye’s went back to the two standing in front of me. “sounds like you had a good time last night, man.”

“You bet,” Jason smirked back at him. I wanted so bad to not punch him, or laugh for that matter because obviously he didn’t remember that I had stopped him last night from king anything to Dakota. Instead I just held tighter to the cell phone in my pocket that would be her ticket out of here.

“So when’s my turn?” My head snapped towards Nate and I looked at him appalled. Did he really just ask that? What has gotten into him? Jason rolled his eyes and then wrapped Dakota in his arms.

“Yeah, sure...” he said sarcastically. “she’s mine,” he said playfully, though I could hear the possessiveness behind his tone that made me grind my teeth together. How could anyone treat another human being like that? He let go of her after a few seconds than walked into the kitchen to grab something, making me unclench my fist.

“No kidding,” Nate rolled his eyes, though I watched as his gaze drifted over to her with a smirk on his face, something didn’t sit right with me in that look. He said something else to her though she seemed lost in thought, I could see an unfamiliar rage boil in Nate’s eyes and he took a few steps closer and grabbed her chin roughly in his hand. “you know it’s impolite to ignore someone when they’re talking to you,” he growled at her. My eyes widened in shock from what he just did, I’d never seen him act like this before. Her eye’s widened at him as he glared with a smirk on his face, he chuckled darkly like I’ve never heard before and then let go of her. I was looking at him in shock.

“Dakota, speak when spoken to.” Jason growled at her from across the room.

“I-i’m sorry,” she stuttered nervously, her eye’s darted between Nate and Jason. Mine were doing the same.

“That’s all right Kitten, just answer my question.” Nate said with a smirk on his face. There was an unfamiliar pride in his eye’s when he looked at her, like he was glad he held that power over her.