Chapter 20.

I don’t remember falling asleep, but I slowly started to come to when I heard the sound of a squeaking door. I didn’t hear anything after a few seconds and slowly put it to the back of my mind, wanting to just lay here and fall back to sleep. I didn’t dream for the first time in a long time, it was just nothing but blankness, and it was peaceful. 

Suddenly, I was woken from the peacefulness with my heart pounding. A hand came down on my mouth and another on my wrist. I reacted on instinct. I grabbed the hand from my mouth as I sat up slightly and twisted the persons arm, gaining the leverage I would need, and flipped them. I heard a slight yelp in protest as I did this, and a familiar sounding groan of pain when the person landed on ht aground with a thump. My heart was still pounding in my chest, but I was able to slow it down some when I came to the realization of who was in the room.

I started to sit up the rest of the way so I could yell at him, but I felt the pressure of Keeley laying on top of me, weighing me down. It took a second for me to make the connection of everything, then I carefully slid out from underneath Keeley, glad that nothing had woken her up.

When I stood up, I looked down at the black blob on the floor who was still groaning but holding an arm in the air. I rolled my eyes and reached my hand down before I pulled them to their feet, and out of the room, making sure to shut the door quietly. Once we were out of earshot, I shoved Alex, which caused him to trip over his couch and land on it face first.

“What the heck dude... You try to wake me up like that when you know why I came here in the first place?” I growled at him. I shook my head and wondered how he even came up with that brilliant idea.

“Yeah...” He said, his voice muffled by the couch since he didn’t bother to sit up yep. 

“What?” I asked him as he kept talking. He shook his head then pushed himself off the couch finally, then faced me with a stupid smirk.

“I said, It probably wasn’t one of my smartest ideas, but I wanted to wake you without waking her up.” He shrugged his shoulders, but all I could do was look at him, wondering what the heck was going on his his mind. Especially since he had that knowing smirk on his face. “My little boy is growing up.” He said, wiping a fake tear away. It was then that I knew what the heck his smirk meant, and I frogged him on the arm.

“Nothing happened, I just fell asleep.” I rolled my eyes at his childish behavior, but I couldn’t help but let a smile tug at the corner of my mouth as well.

“I know, man. I was messing with ya. It’s not often I get to give you grief about girls like you do to me,” He chuckled.

“That’s because I’m not a slut.” I said with a smirk, then quickly jumped out of the way as he tried to punch me. “Missed me,” I stuck my tongue out at him, then ducked once more as he took another swing. “You are seriously slow today.” I said one I stood back up and he just pursed his lips at me with narrowed eyes. Then, before I even knew what happened, I was out of breath.

“That should teach ya not to mess with your instructor.” Alex said with a grin, dusting his hands off like they were dirty.

“I’ll get you, don’t worry Mr. Instructor.” I said with sarcasm dripping from my words.

I walked over to his pantry after I was able to get air back in my lungs and headed straight for the pop tarts. I took a package out of the box and pulled out the pastry, about to take a bite of it, when Alex slapped it out of my hands, making it land and crumble on the counter.

“What the heck dude?” I scoffed.

“You have your big three fights tonight, eat eggs or something.” He rolled his eyes at me before grabbing the crumbly mess off the counter and popping it into his mouth.