Chapter 19.

Keeley and I had arrived a few minutes late, thanks to traffic, and were stumbling over our own feet when we got to the park where the wedding was being held. You had to walk through the tree area to even get to the wedding, which was being held in the middle of a clearing. They had signs set up, pointing us the way and even little white chines lanterns that lined the path.

The ceremony had already started by the time we got there, so we had to sit in the back. I find;t rely get to see much from the crappy seating we got, but I did catch sight of someone familiar, wither that or my eyes were playing tricks on me. 

When the wedding was over the bride and groom headed down the aisle, and across the way to a tent set up on the other end of the clearing. Keeley and I got stopped a couple of times talking to people and she would introduce them to me. It was weird because they didn’t give me the looks i’m used to, with Keeley grabbing my arm and dragging me to meet a few other family members. 

Cousin after Aunt after Uncle, I met quite a few of them. The only people I had yet to meet were the grandparents and the rest of the wedding party. 

As Keeley was stuck in conversation with one of her cousins, which, by the look on her face, I knew she wasn’t enjoying it, I made the decision to go find something to drink. I slowly started to back up, trying to hide the smile that wanted to erupt on my face when her eyes grew wide, knowing that I was about to leave her all by herself to be tortured.

She shook her head slowly and discretely, as to not let her cousin know that she didn’t want to be left alone, but I just shrugged and left her with a humored smirk before turning and getting out of there. 

I breathed a sigh of relief when I was away from that long, long... Long... pointless conversation, then looked around the room for the refreshments. When I finally made it halfway through the crowd, I heard my name called out, but that wasn’t what stopped me. It was the shocked sound and the familiar ring.

“Garret?” A female voice sound from behind me. I quickly whipped my head around and saw a familiar, blue-eye’d brunette. My eye’s widened in shock and my mouth dropped open slightly, no sound coming out from my lack of words. “What... What?” She stuttered, just as confused as me.

“Dakota?” I asked, not believing my eyes, though I knew it couldn’t be anyone else. Then my eye’s snapped to the tall built, ex-marine, as he came over through the crowds.

“Kota, what's-what... Garret?” Tyler, Dakota’s husband asked in just as much shock as her and I did.

“Okay... um, Hi... yeah, that sounds like a good start.” I said with a chuckle. I rubbed the back of my neck while trying to get over the shock of seeing them here. 

“Yeah, hi...” Dakota chuckled, a shocked look still on her face. “What are you doing here?” She asked, her head cocked to the side. 

“Yeah, um.. I actually am here with-“ I started to say but then a fuming, short, green eye’d blond found her way through the crowd and to me, ranting.

“How could you do that to me? You just left me there... like, really? I had to suffer through five more minutes of my cousins non-stop talking, and she wouldn’t shut up! I did not want to stand there and hear about how she accidentally wore the wrong color pink to the prom and that her whole outfit was ruined because of it... I mean really-“ she suddenly stopped when she saw I had company. “oh, sorry... Hi there,” Keeley said with an embarrassed chuckle. 

“Hey,” Tyler and Dakota greeted her, amused smiles on their faces. “You’re Keeley right? Darren’s talked about you a couple times.” 

“Yep, that’s me.” She said with a somewhat shocked smile.