Chapter 23 (Part 2)

Manik started to read the diary in the car itself as he had never imagined that she would keep a diary.

March 4, 2016
Yesterday I almost killed myself. Ms Sulochana saved me. Brought me here to this place. But this life now belongs to her. I will do anything she says. But I will always remind myself that I am a murder! And I will never leave a chance to hurt myself as I had hurt him.

(Manik's life almost slipped out as he read that she tried to kill herself. He couldn't believe this was the same Nandani he knew in the USA.)

March 7, 2016
This place is in major crisis. Need to help aunty out. Maybe I should look for a job. Don't know what to do anymore. But remember you are a murder and don't forget what you had done with him. He loved you and you only gave him pain. You deserve to live because death was a very easy way out.
(Manik figured out that she was referring him as 'him'.)

As he read the diary he found out everything that Nandani had gone through. Although she had not mentioned his name anywhere, he knew that 'him' was always referred to Manik. Manik had spent the entire day reading the diary in his car. He was to shocked to react at anything that had happened. Somehow or the other he managed to get inside his house and sat on his sofa thinking about what all Nandani had gone through. She was in a mess, he didn't know why she did what she had done 2 months before but he was sure that the reason would have been a big one.

Just then Cabir entered his house as he was missing the whole day and he wouldn't even get his calls. He sensed something was up with Manik so he went and sat next to him and placed his hand on his shoulder.

"Manik you are ok?"

That was it for Manik, he let it all out. Tears were rolling out of his eyes as if he felt Nandani's every pain in himself. Cabir got even more tensed and he hugged him tight. After a few minutes Manik began to share this piece of information. "Cabir how could I not understand her love for me. I should have understood that she had done all this because of some reason. Do you know she tried to kill herself. My nandani, who was so strong, who always put up a fight with me wanted to kill herself. Cabir she is battling from depression. She needs pills to keep her emotions in control. How could I not see that smile on her face was gone. I couldn't see that she was always putting on a fake smile. I don't know what happened and how but she is in a great mess. I need to talk to her Cabir. I need to talk to her."

Cabir had understood the situation from the bits and pieces Manik had said but he insisted him to calm down. "Look Manik, I understand what you are going through but do you think she will confess everything just like that? If she kept quite for all these years then there must be something. We need to handle this with great precaution as Nandani is also not capable of handling herself at the moment."

Manik understood his point. "You are right CAbir, this is a very sensitive issue but now I am there for her. She is my responsibility and nothing will happen to her. Because I will make everything the way it should be."