Chapter 27

Six months later, Hermione's belly was getting bigger by the day. So far, the pregnancy was going very well, although Harry wasn't particularly enjoying it. I want so badly to be supportive, he thought to himself late one night as he wandered through the grocery store looking for the ice cream Hermione had asked for. But if she wakes me up at three in the morning for ice cream one more time... She did it many times after that. Harry never complained out loud.

It was mid-July when Harry woke up to Hermione shaking him. "Harry!" She whispered urgently. "Harry!" She shoved him harder, finally pulling him out of his sleep.

Harry groaned and sat up. "Alright," he muttered. "I'm going." He started to stand up.

"No, Harry, it's not that," Hermione said, grabbing his hand and pulling him back down. "I don't feel right."

Harry turned and flicked the light on, squinting as it illuminated the bedroom. He looked down and gasped. "Bloody hell, Hermione!"

The white sheets that lie beneath Hermione were bathed in scarlet. Hermione looked down and went pale when she saw what Harry was on about.

Harry leapt off the bed and hurried over to Hermione's side. He slipped his arms underneath her. He lifted her off the bed and ran down the hall. "Hermione, can you stand for a moment?" He asked. Hermione nodded feebly.

He set Hermione on her feet but kept a firm grip on her hand. Single-handedly, he lifted Teddy from his crib and shifted him onto his hip. Then he turned on the spot.

The three appeared again in Andromeda's kitchen. It wasn't a second before Andromeda appeared before them. Thank God she's such a light sleeper.

Nobody spoke a word. After taking note of the blood on Hermione's pants, Andromeda took a half-asleep Teddy from Harry's arm. The moment Teddy's weight was lifted, Harry lifted Hermione and held her bridal-style. He turned once again and they appeared again in St. Mungo's lobby.

Harry gave a choked explanation that the nurse hardly understood. But she lead them to a room and called for a doctor.

This time, Harry was allowed to stay. He held Hermione's hand. Her grip was light, and Harry's was tight, as if he was making up for what she couldn't do.

Finally, the doctors managed to clot the bleeding and then left to run some tests. The two of them were alone.

Harry stared at their entwined hands until he heard a small cough. He looked to see Hermione's head turned toward him. Her eyes were barely open. "Harry..." She whispered almost inaudibly.

"Hermione!" Harry whispered in relieved tone.

"What happened?"

"I don't know, Hermione. The test results haven't come back yet."

Hermione sighed. "I'm scared, Harry."

Harry squeezed her hand. "I know. I am, too."

"Harry... What if we lost the baby?"

Harry shook his head. "Don't think like that. Everything is going be okay."

Hermione nodded, turned her head so she was looking at the ceiling and closed her eyes. She tried to push it back, but the thought was fighting hard against her. It pushed itself forward so she could think of nothing else. You can't promise me that.

"Where's Teddy?" She asked just to change the subject.

"At Andromeda's house. I took him there before I brought you here."

She nodded. Another thought that she fought hard not to say aloud. At least we can't lose him like this.

Hermione sighed again. The time it took for the doctor to come to them felt like forever. But finally she did.

"Mr. and Mrs. Potter, your results have come back."

Hermione held her breath and dug her nails into her hands, preparing for the worst.